Your Weakness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
Isn't this thread intended to be about ones racing weaknesses? Not just general incompetencies?

Is this not the place to confess to my inability to hold my drink?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Just mentioned it as I noticed there were a few non-racing style responses creeping in and I thought HLab had probably choosen to post this thread in the racing section, rather than the general cycling section for a reason.

VamP, we will get you a BTA bottle for your new TT bike, then you won't need to hold it :tongue:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I've not done any road racing as such but I was thinking in terms of other competitive forms of cycling I've engaged in.

If we were to discuss more general weaknesses, well, I wouldn't know where to start...

But I'll just shut up now, which I'm sure will come as a relief.

I am amazed at this.

Where do you race out of interest? The only time I have ever used the small ring in a road race was in the latter stages at Hog Hill, but the hill there is 15%!

Ilton and Castle Coombe circuits mostly this year Vamp. I rode 50 miles back from my Nan's this afternoon and spent a fair amount of time averaging 20-22mph in the same gear.

I've tried the same cog on the compact and no way, but on a standard it works until your legs get dizzy with such a high cadence. I've become more of a spinner over the years and rarely go beyond a 14 or 15 (on the 53 ring) during a circuit race.

VamP

Banned
Ilton and Castle Coombe circuits mostly this year Vamp. I rode 50 miles back from my Nan's this afternoon and spent a fair amount of time averaging 20-22mph in the same gear.

I've tried the same cog on the compact and no way, but on a standard it works until your legs get dizzy with such a high cadence. I've become more of a spinner over the years and rarely go beyond a 14 or 15 (on the 53 ring) during a circuit race.

Hey if it works for you

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Cakes, biscuits... ice cream! The inability to eat reasonably, without binging on sweet cr@p.

Sprinting. By rights I should be reasonably fast but I am scared about bunch smash ups so always bury myself doing a lead out when I should be trying to learn to sprint.

Edit to include that this is only in club run café sprints etc as I am not racing at the mo (too difficult to get to the races and I'm currently too fat).

lejogger

Guru
Manning TFU and actually getting involved. (Otherwise known as having confidence)

I did my first official TT last year, an open 5, and managed to post the fastest time on the night 11:44... I acknowledge this isn't quick for a 5, it just wasn't that well attended by the top end riders.

I was chuffed with myself though. A gnat's c*ck away from a 25mph ave on a road bike in my first event was a good platform to build on.

But...

I didn't build on it. Maybe exceeding my own expectations got in my head and made me nervous about signing up to further events. Perhaps I thought it was a fluke and I was sure I wouldn't do that well again.

However tonight I entered the same TT - the first in a series of 4 - and managed to beat last years time with an 11:23 which was good enough for 5th place. Not too fussed to be beaten by 4 sub 11 minute rides on my road bike again, by established racers in skin suits, with disc wheels, aero helmets and full on TT bikes.

Not to mention the flipping horse box that pulled out 20 yards ahead of me on my countdown which stopped me getting started and then decided to turn right a minute down the road which I had to slow for again.

Legs felt tired after footy last night too so I'm pretty sure I can get down close to 11 mins by the end of the series.

In terms of actual race weaknesses though there are loads. Bike... Wheels... Clothing... All could be way better.

I went off too fast then literally clung on for life for the final uphill 2 miles.

My position is terrible because I've just slapped some aero bars onto my standard road bike - felt like the tip of my saddle was actually going to penetrate my gooch by the end.

I'm actually quite glad that there is so much to work on. If I get it right I might be able to post some competitive times.

U

User482

I've not done any proper racing apart from mountain biking, but from participation in numerous sportives, it's apparent that I have no ability whatsoever when it comes to sudden changes of pace. I get shelled out the back of groups very easily, even though the riders in those groups are slower than me overall. I'm not sure what I would do to work on that.

VamP

Banned
I've not done any proper racing apart from mountain biking, but from participation in numerous sportives, it's apparent that I have no ability whatsoever when it comes to sudden changes of pace. I get shelled out the back of groups very easily, even though the riders in those groups are slower than me overall. I'm not sure what I would do to work on that.

VO2 max intervals and group riding skills.

endoman

Cornering, descending, it's why I race TT's. Working on VO2 max and anaerobic stuff for the hill climbs in October. Just want to better last year's times!

U

User482

VO2 max intervals and group riding skills.

I did a ramp test this year - apparently my VO2 max was pretty good, though I can't remember the number. The issue seems to be poor acceleration rather than the output I can achieve.

As you say, group riding skills matter - by paying more attention I can at least predict when I need to respond to changes in pace.

VamP

Banned
I did a ramp test this year - apparently my VO2 max was pretty good, though I can't remember the number. The issue seems to be poor acceleration rather than the output I can achieve.

As you say, group riding skills matter - by paying more attention I can at least predict when I need to respond to changes in pace.

Sorry I wasn't clear. Vo2max intervals are so named because they cover a time span over which it's significantly possible to operate in a zone higher than aerobic threshold. A traditional duration would be 5 minutes (repeated 5 times). Many other configurations are possible, but they will typically not be less than 2 minutes and not more than 8. It is in these durations that the capacity to accelerate rapidly and repeatedly is best trained.

Whatever duration you train for, you should pace it so that you reach exhaustion at the end of each interval, while maintaining as constant a power output as you are able throughout the interval. The duration of rest between the intervals is also important.

oldroadman

Veteran
My personal weakness, climbing. Hilly stage/one day race, do your work on the flat, then it's grupetto time.
Hill reps as intervals help, as does climbing a long hill on a really big gear (in the saddle) for strength, but climbing is a natural thing and if you have not got the natural ability, training will make it a bit faster but never easy.

Observations, the very first post in this thread, weakness is spelling. It's PELOTON, two circles just like a bike! :smile:.

Change of pace, that's what road racing is all about. Interval training will improve this and stamina big style, if you do it correctly (until you feel/are sick, preferablyxx( ) and in a structured way, with a good long warm up and similar warm down.

Descending is practice, get the braking done before the corner, and understand that a bike will lean a very long way before it slides out. Look at where you want to go, not the hedge you are worried about, because you will end up in it!! Some people are simply better bike handlers than others, and it comes down to confidence and not worrying about falling off, because that will happen now and again.

Any of this helpful, from an old boy who been around a bit?

Top Bottom