Youth hostels on LEJOG?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
There's not that many. The CTC publishes a route that incorporates YH but there are considerable gaps.

BigGee

When I did it last september, from top to bottom, I stayed in hostels at inverness, glencoe, kendal, liverpool, leominster, cheddar, exeter.

Having got up to JOG late afternoon, I went down to Wick and did a B&B for the first night. The Impala guesthouse, very nice and a good price, would recommend it.

In Glasgow, I stayed with family and then went down to Dumfries. No hostel within reach so another B&B, The Lindean Guesthouse. A bit more expensive, but still friendly and nice.

From Exeter I had planned to go to the hostel in Coverack. This was a mistake as it was off route and would have been best part of 120 miles. That would have been my longest day of the trip and I underestimated how hard the hills of Dartmoor where and the cumulative fatigue of doing 90-100 miles a day. I ended up stopping at a B&B in St Austell and doing the last 50 miles down to LE the next day. I would say that Coverack was not my first choice of hostel, but the only one not booked up. It was over a weekend and they can be busy in cornwall. Depending on what time of year you go you might want to book up early for the busier places. I guess it depends how ridgid you wannt to be with your scedule. I pre-booked and then ended up paying twice!

The only hostel I was not all that struck on was liverpool, probably because I was sharing with some Bulgarian football fans and so got very little sleep as they came back late from the game and then got up at 04.00 to catch there flight home! I did have this slightly romantic notion about going on the ferry cross the mersey though, so it probably made it worthwhile.

On the whole the quiet country hostels where the best. I really liked Glencoe, Kendal, Leominster and Cheddar. Exeter was busier but fine as well.

Plan well and have a great trip

grahame

BigGee

One further thought.

I bought the CTC guide and have to say did not think it was much use at all and if you are not a member, certainly not worth the money.

Better spend the money on some decent maps and plan your own route

Grahame

spen666

Legendary Member
BigGee said:
One further thought.

I bought the CTC guide and have to say did not think it was much use at all and if you are not a member, certainly not worth the money.

Better spend the money on some decent maps and plan your own route

Grahame

I have to say the complete opposite. The CTC guide IMHO was excellent & formed the basis of my planning.

Top Bottom