YouTube Dilema

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Mark_Robson said:
IMO the only purpose that a camera serves is to provide a source of evidence in the event of an accident and to help the cyclist improve his own road skills.

You're forgetting that cycle-cam footage is also the life-blood of this forum...

But seriously, cameras can be used to celebrate and champion cycling - it should not just be about the "crash, bang wallop" type films or falling back on the footage (as evidence) in the event of a collision.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Origamist said:
You're forgetting that cycle-cam footage is also the life-blood of this forum...

But seriously, cameras can be used to celebrate and champion cycling - it should not just be about the "crash, bang wallop" type films.

I've tried to start using my cam for this type of stuff as well, although I've only publicised the results with family. I've also not used youtube. Even the most innocuous footage is going to get the "all syclists r cunz" comments, and I can't really be bothered.

Best of the lot is a short clip where I taped the cam to Bolletta's helmet and then went for a ride on the tandem. I never realised she looked around so much. Better obs than her dad for sure.:angry:

dondare

Über Member
BentMikey said:
Your memory isn't very good - you told me how you'd normally jump lights like that particular example, I told you I'd follow if you wanted to, and you still wouldn't go through the red light until I promised you I wouldn't put it on the video clip.

Aaaahaahahahahaa, such hypocrisy about how cameras won't change anyone else's behaviour, and yet one changed yours remarkably.

There is no doubt that cameras can change behaviour; the best example being the way average speed cameras actually make motorists slow down.

But I'd rather change attitudes which affect behaviour all the time rather than only when the cameras are known to be there; and the Youtube clips don't change attitudes. (If the comments are anything to go by.)

Non-cyclists need to understand that bikes are a legitimate form of transport that can be used by everyone and that safer roads benefit all road users. Any kind of them/us debate is counter-productive.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Bollo said:
I've tried to start using my cam for this type of stuff as well, although I've only publicised the results with family. I've also not used youtube. Even the most innocuous footage is going to get the "all syclists r cunz" comments, and I can't really be bothered.

Best of the lot is a short clip where I taped the cam to Bolletta's helmet and then went for a ride on the tandem. I never realised she looked around so much. Better obs than her dad for sure.:angry:

I'm going to film part of the northern FNRttC as it is beautiful at dawn with 70 cyclists sweeping through the countryside...

I'm surprised so many people persist with YouTube, Vimeo is far more friendly and has very few imbeciles posting lycra nazi comments...

I suspect Bolletta will be towing you up hills soon...

Origamist said:
I'm surprised so many people persist with YouTube, Vimeo is far more friendly and has very few imbeciles posting lycra nazi comments...
Some of the comments on Andyb vid on Vimeo were pretty poor IMO but I think they were by refugees from you tube.

For my own vids I tried a few other hosting sites while back and found them not as good in the sound sync, formats etc. Youtube despite it problems is just more flexible. That being said I've had no trolls so far in 2 & 1/2 years, if I did that might cause me to rethink.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Bollo said:
There's a piece in the guardian today about police use of head cams. Not completely on topic, but worth a read. Linky here

The article is interesting as it widens the debate.

The level of monitoring and surveillance in this country is incredibly high and it is not surprising that many people will object to the ever increasing use of cameras (at a state, corporate, and personal level). Most people seem to back off when confronted with a cycle cam, but some people feel provoked and take their aggression out on the user. It works both ways and this should not be forgotten.

It also seems that cameras beget cameras (although I’m sure FM can correct me, if I’m mistaken), and yet, I struggle to see how an environment in which increasing numbers of road users film one another will improve road safety in the long term. It is now the case that people apologise if they have not captured film of an incident when they post on CC (as if it is in some way less real without supporting pixels). In addition, the proliferation of cycle-cams ultimately might start to disadvantage those who choose not to film and are involved in a collision – “where’s your film evidence, son” etc.

My user name is Panopticon on Vimeo for a reason (and not just because I’m pretentious and affected). Riding with a camera whilst commuting raises troubling questions about the right to privacy, road safety, the need to film in public places and, of course, my own confused motivations for doing so.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Origamist said:
I'm going to film part of the northern FNRttC as it is beautiful at dawn with 70 cyclists sweeping through the countryside...

I suspect Bolletta will be towing you up hills soon...

YouTube is too big to ignore for me. With so many people using it, your videos get more exposure. I doubt my cycling superhighway videos would have as many views on vimeo.
Saying that I am starting to upload a few videos on vimeo and vholder

Norm

Then we need a network of helmet-wide average behaviour cameras!
There's a few on my YouTube channel, but I don't bother posting them on here because, well, that's just cycling and it's what we all do. Well, nearly all, anyway. :angel:

Origamist

Legendary Member
gaz said:
YouTube is too big to ignore for me. With so many people using it, your videos get more exposure. I doubt my cycling superhighway videos would have as many views on vimeo.
Saying that I am starting to upload a few videos on vimeo and vholder

Yes, but you're just a "hits whore"...!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
User3143 said:
Eh? You're lying now. You told me that you would follow me if I RLJed, that is correct. But the reason for me not RLJing was that the fact I didn't think it was fair on you RLJing when you are so against it and I didn't want to be some what responsible should you try and follow me and end up causing an accident.

Nothing to do at all with you ''promising not to put in on the clip'' I find it ironic you are labelling me a troll yet look at your last few posts on this thread.:angel::biggrin:

Calling me a liar? It's not me that's lying here. Your debating level can really be quite contemptible sometimes. And talking down to me as though I'm not capable of safe RLJing.

All that's happened here is that you've made an arse of yourself. Hypocrite, that's what you are.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Mark_Robson said:
If people are speeding then they will slow for a speed camera and then accelerate once they have passed it, so that shows that speed cameras only modify peoples driving when they are visible, stick a copper in a bus stop with a speed gun and he will have a field day. Surely the same argument applies for head cams?

To a small degree that's true. On the other hand, there are so many thousands of camera toting road users now, that a more comparable example would be average speed cameras, and/or hidden speed cameras that get moved around often. People won't know when they're likely to be caught, so are more likely to behave all the time.

Besides which, even if the effect is only there and then, that still benefits me personally. It'd be a stretch though, for this to be the case. It would mean that not a single person videoed, caught, or reported to their company makes a single change in their behaviour. Unlikely at best.

Mark_Robson said:
IMO the only purpose that a camera serves is to provide a source of evidence in the event of an accident and to help the cyclist improve his own road skills.

There are far more uses for cameras than this.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Nice find Bollo! Clearly the police think they work, and not just in the immediate moment either.

LOL on the bolleta observation being better than yours!!

Origamist

Legendary Member
gaz said:
Nothing wrong with that, it gets you invites to meet with TFL ;)

Gaz, don't get too excited as TFL will try to asphyxiate you with talk of smoothing traffic flow, congestion modelling software and balancing the needs of all road users...

Funnily enough, my correspondence with TFL has actually been quite amusing on CSs. Only a few weeks ago a TFL Comms manager was quoting best practice at me ("leave a door and a bit more") even though I'd pointed out that the left-hand side of the CS lane puts you in the door zone!

My video will be sent to them next week.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Origamist said:
Gaz, don't get too excited as TFL will try to asphyxiate you with talk of smoothing traffic flow, congestion modelling software and balancing the needs of all road users...

Funnily enough, my correspondence with TFL has actually been quite amusing on CSs. Only a few weeks ago a TFL Comms manager was quoting best practice at me ("leave a door and a bit more") even though I'd pointed out that the left-hand side of the CS lane puts you in the door zone!

My video will be sent to them next week.

Where does the cs put you on the doorzone? I can only recall it going through parking spaces and thus not actually promoting a bad position when passing parked cars.

Top Bottom