YouTube/Flashplayer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I'm having trouble with YouTube.

I get this message when I go to watch something

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

and can't view the clip.

There is a link to a FlashPlayer download, I've done it twice and it's not made a difference. I've restarted the laptop afterwards but that's not done the trick.

Does this mean I've got JavaScript turned off? How do I find that out?

It's an XP laptop and I recently installed a new version of FF, not sure which one it was though, just the one that popped up and said "install me".

thanks.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
longers said:
Does this mean I've got JavaScript turned off? How do I find that out?
Check Tools/Options/Content.

PS If that doesn't work, there are various suggestions here that might help.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Thanks Colin, Java is turned on, I've followed your link, it says it's installed successfully but still doesn't work.

Bman

Guru
And you have uninstalled/reinstalled flash player?
Also, what browser are you using?
What does this page say in the "version information" box?

Reading that step-by-step guide, one point looked like it was a little ambiguous:

Link from ColinJ said:
3. At this point, completely exit your browser (don't just close the
window, exit the browser completely).

That means close ALL your browser windows.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
I don't think I've got NoScript working, I'm using Firefox, I did do the uninstall before re-installing and I did close the browser. By that I took it to mean close down Firefox completely - correct?

The "version information box" says: You have version 10,0,42,34 installed.

I'll try doing it again.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Had the same issue with my daughter's Win XP laptop on Sunday after I put Firefox on it for her. The issue there was that her user account wasn't an Admin one, so I had to log her out, log in with my account (the admin one) and install it there.

That let me do it.

(Did you get the Adobe Download Manager being installed and then Flash installing through that? If you didn't, you've got the same issue as my daughter. It was successfully downloading the Adobe ADM add-on but it had no permission to run and install Flash using it).

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Not sure Goo, it didn't work at the last attempt but I'll investigate your advice when I've a bit more time, thanks.

I've forgotten what it was I was going to watch though.

You could always switch youtube to HTML5 as a workaround, but you would need CHrome or another broser anyway. Not sure if they have enabled it in release versions of Firefox yet.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
I checked that I am "admin" on this computer but it's still not working. If You Tube is embedded in another forum I can watch those but nothing through the actual You Tube site.

Other than trying a different browser as 2Loose suggests I'm still stumped ;)

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Update: - it's working now after doing precisely nothing to it since it wouldn't work yesterday.

I'm using Firefox too, on Win 7. Bizarrely for one session yesterday I could only play certain youtube files in youtube (browsing or my videos but not subscriptions) but I could download them or play them in a new window, I got no message though just a blank screen. Closing FF and reopening has sorted it ;)

Top Bottom