Youtube "public record" idea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Had an idea whilst making this video:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biuACJBpt_w

As you can see (if you're patient enough to put up with my voice and droning on) I have touched upon youtube becoming a public record for recording poor road usage. However whilst editing I came across an idea that I thought might work for all of us that have put these sorts of vids up.

On the Alamy website they use tagging just like youtube to help people find the pictures they need. Its a commercial enterprise there however.. Many members will use the tagging for assessing their rank on the site with a random letter code.

I thought we could use a random letter style code for youtube. So that those wishing to find all images in this "public record" could use the shortcut of typing in the code to see what has been submitted. My proposal is to put "UK" or "USA" etc in the code too, this will identify the region where filmed and separate out the different areas people submit from.

So what do you guys think? Anyone up for tagging the vids they have of bad drivers, cyclists and so on with this code? Heres my suggestion for the code itself:

UKBRUSAF - all caps, UK denotes the region, BRU denotes "bad road usage", and SAF denotes "safety issues", not quite random but a quick search on there and I can see nothing is tagged as such

Opinions?

thomas

the tank engine
So put UKBRUSAF on every video's tag?

Or have do the BRU and SAF change too...So, could have UKBRUCO (close overtake) or something like that?

I'll be honest and say I can barely be bothered to tag my videos with a few useful things now-a-days. Nearly all camera cyclists are joined together via subscriptions anyway. I for one have lots and lots, though the American videos don't really interest me.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
thomas said:
So put UKBRUSAF on every video's tag?

Or have do the BRU and SAF change too...So, could have UKBRUCO (close overtake) or something like that?

I'll be honest and say I can barely be bothered to tag my videos with a few useful things now-a-days. Nearly all camera cyclists are joined together via subscriptions anyway. I for one have lots and lots, though the American videos don't really interest me.

Its needs to be generic. If you change it other than the region I think it could get messy and confusing.

I also think we could have a generic "word" to search for that would be easy to put in letters/emails to newspapers, officials etc, to show the current quality of road use.

Obviously this is only a suggestion and would need co-operation from likeminded peeps. :ohmy:

thomas

the tank engine
I've just looked, but can't find the setting. Somewhere on youtube you can set default tags for your account can't you? I was going to add the UKBRUSAF thing there, so it should work with most videos :biggrin:

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
thomas said:
I've just looked, but can't find the setting. Somewhere on youtube you can set default tags for your account can't you? I was going to add the UKBRUSAF thing there, so it should work with most videos :biggrin:

I dont know tbh. Will look in a bit, as I'm uploading a new video already (got bored and made a "road tax" themed one)

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Sh4rkyBloke said:
SMIDSY not in there already??? :biggrin:

I do sometimes tag with that. However I think something less defined would and could work - its not all smidsys out there obviously. :sad:

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
HLaB said:
I'd probably forget to tag my videos so a default would be handy

I've had a comprehensive look at youtube and cant find any default options for retaining tags. :biggrin: What I would do is save a text document with the tag words in and cnp it. Tagging is just one of those things that helps people find your vids (along with adding to favourites, creating playlists - which again you should tag, and general spamming on forums)

equivalence

I've been working on a little website for my own use where I plan to link to videos that I'm hoping to create with my new helmet cam when it arrives in the next week or so. If people really are interested in using it then I suppose I could try and allow others to submit and attach tags etc. Wasn't sure there would be much interest but it seems there might at least be a couple of you, so I'm sure if you wanted I could try and allow other submissions. It might not match exactly what you are looking for but might be better than YouTube alone.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
equivalence said:
I've been working on a little website for my own use where I plan to link to videos that I'm hoping to create with my new helmet cam when it arrives in the next week or so. If people really are interested in using it then I suppose I could try and allow others to submit and attach tags etc. Wasn't sure there would be much interest but it seems there might at least be a couple of you, so I'm sure if you wanted I could try and allow other submissions. It might not match exactly what you are looking for but might be better than YouTube alone.

TBH I do find Joby's Fight Bad Driving website covers those needs for me. I think he got mentioned a few times on the CTC site too. Perhaps consider submitting youtube links to him also?;)

http://www.fightbaddriving.co.uk/

chap

Veteran
How much do those cameras cost that you use for recording your rides?

I have been hankering after one of those Flip Videos, are these used?
Finally, why do you use the cameras, are you in the habit of recording in general, or is it as insurance?

Top Bottom