Yuk...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Surely if you smell this, you get it every year - so should be used to it?

I love the smell of shite... although some does smell funky.

Don't get it on the bike though, sheep crap itself is such a pain to get off when dry!

Oh, and I live by an abbotoir now (though its closed down) and that has no smells. Not far off is the water treatment plant, and that doesn't smell either!

AuraTodd

Über Member
Was out cycling past my uncle's farm and was greeted by a ghastly smell of cow shoot or something just as bloody smelly. Aunt was in field feeding horses, strangely enough they were snorting and not touching their breakfast (can you blame them?) I stopped to talk to aunt and she said ' don't worry, it's only your uncle farting again'.

asterix

Comrade Member
Recently York demolished its sugar beet processing factory (with the loss of quite a few jobs). During the season its odour reached all parts of the city depending on wind direction. Having lived in Ipswich a few years I felt quite at home with the smell and wondered what my fellow newcomers were complaining about.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Can't believe young Kaipaith of this parish hasn't contributed. His commute route takes him through what can only be described as a sump of pig sh1t.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
My office is in a business park in front of the local 'recycling centre' (the tip) and behind that is the sewage farm ..... xx(

A group of Sewage Farm workers from the North West went on their annual trip to Blackpool, and one of them was so overcome by the fresh air that they fainted.

It took 7 buckets of sh*t just to bring them round.

I'll get me coat.

adds21

Rider of bikes
I was very nearly sprayed by a muck spreader on my ride home on Monday.

It was just turning out of a field towards me, but for whatever reason it was still in spreading mode. I only missed it by stamping on the pedels and getting past before it joined the lane.

Since then, I've had to swerve around piles of muck on the lane whenever I get to that point.

Mind you, I'd rather that than cycling down a dual carriageway every day.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Recently York demolished its sugar beet processing factory (with the loss of quite a few jobs). During the season its odour reached all parts of the city depending on wind direction. Having lived in Ipswich a few years I felt quite at home with the smell and wondered what my fellow newcomers were complaining about.

Ipswich sugar beet factory closed as well now :sad: everything now processed at Bury St Edmunds

chris-s

The smell doesn't bother me since I grew up on a farm, but when it gets on your drinks bottle without you noticing it.......

Chris

Norm

We used to spread human poo on our fields, came from Thames Water's plant in Slough and was marketed as Cinagro. Which is "organic" backwards. :smile:

With two exceptions, animal poo smells don't bother me. I don't think it's just a matter of getting used to it as the two animals which make me gag are dogs and chickens, and we've always had dogs and we have had a few chickens, although they were only ever kept outside so we didn't get that mouth-drying aroma you get from battery sheds.

I find cow and pig poo strangely comforting, as I was brought up on a farm and I would sit in the warmth of the cow sheds and pig units on the coldest days.

We just have wheat and rape now. (cue rant about rape causing hay fever, even though it isn't true...)

Strangely today, I was smacked in the face by something that fell off the back of a tractor's trailer as it went past...

Can you guess what it was?

Luckily it was pretty hard rather than sloppy...

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Always remember the smell round Doncaster, when I lived there. Prosper De Mulders had a rendering plant, if the wind was in the wrong direction the stench used to lie over the entire town centre.

Where I am now its just the occasional muck spreading, but theres one area I miss on my sunday summer runs. Local village called Clifton has a maggot farm on the outskirts...:wacko:

Top Bottom