Yul Brynner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
ah - bells rung/regression in progress - "cave canem"
in tiles in the entrance to some roman houses I seem to recall.

am still intrigued by what sort of school @Cycleops went to tho.
The dog house in Pompeii, a picture of a snarling mutt in the entrance, portrayed in a mosaic, with the warning Cave Canem, or in more modern terms, clear off or I'll release the hound

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Anyone claim they can speak Latin?
Dreadful language, hated it at school. Conjugating objects, ridiculous.
Back then it was part of a classical education.
Have you learned much of language where you are now? I used an app to learn a few phrases, introductions and greetings in Akan but have forgotten a lot now.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
English has a substantial foundation of Latin so it’s still a great tool for understanding our own language, not to mention French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Romanian etc.
Latin is a really poor tool for understanding our own language, as English is a germanic core with romance bits bolted on. If you want to understand English, study English. Doing so via Latin is like learning bike mechanics so you can fix your washing machine. Kinda similar, both need screwdrivers.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Latin is a really poor tool for understanding our own language, as English is a germanic core with romance bits bolted on. If you want to understand English, study English. Doing so via Latin is like learning bike mechanics so you can fix your washing machine. Kinda similar, both need screwdrivers.
studying Linguistics is the best tool for understanding languages, way more useful that studying Latin.

The only Latin I ever needed was the Grace to be said before dinner at High Table. It was only 7 words, so fairly easy to memorise without understanding any of it.

we've digressed a long way from being thinner than Yul Brynner:wacko:

studying Linguistics is the best tool for understanding languages, way more useful that studying Latin.

The only Latin I ever needed was the Grace to be said before dinner at High Table. It was only 7 words, so fairly easy to memorise without understanding any of it.

we've digressed a long way from being thinner than Yul Brynner:wacko:
well i was going to ask whether the impressively multi-lingual Yul Brynner (I think I knew) bothered to learn Latin as a language aide/way to impress folk at parties.

Last edited:
One thing I do remember about my school latin is the damn tendency of the verb to come at the end of the sentence. I have terrible memories of translating sentences and having to wait until the end to figure out what the hell was happening.
On the questionable point about latin being a good aid for good english I have sometimes wondered if this accounts for the somewhat strangled roundabout way of speaking adopted by some upper class clasically educated folk. ie not getting to the point - obfuscation seen as a sign of sophistication. And direct simple speech and writing (take a bow Orwell) being seen as common.

Drago

Legendary Member
well i was going to ask whether the impressively multi-lingual Yul Brynner (I think I knew) bothered to learn Latin as an aide/way to impress folk at parties.
He used it to pull posh chicks.

The Legion tend not to snatch deserters at large in the UK. Too tricky to get them out, too much chance of arrest.

What they will periodically do if they find you is turn up and give you a good kicking.
When I lived in France madame’s father was an ex-army officer who had spent some time in the Legion, we were talking one night about deserters and he reckoned they wouldn’t bother going after them, it would be a waste of time as it would be difficult to extradite them and if someone was that keen on being in the legion he deserted, how good a little soldier would he be anyway?

FishFright

More wheels than sense
The Legion tend not to snatch deserters at large in the UK. Too tricky to get them out, too much chance of arrest.

What they will periodically do if they find you is turn up and give you a good kicking.

And what a kicking that would be !

Top Bottom