Yul Brynner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
quod erat demonstrandum

Only because my maths teacher used it all the time at the end of a mathematical proof. I ended up doing the same at the end of my workings.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
He was obviously multi talented. What else couldn’t he do besides use a comb?
Live to be 200 years old?

FishFright

More wheels than sense
He also brought hope to bald men everywhere.

As it happens I speak passable French, good enough to inadvertently get enlisted into the Legion Etrangere.

I used to cave with a guy who lived in a railway carriage , the rumour mill said he was on the run from the Legion . Oh how laughed until they turned up to collect him, luckily for him he was underground at the time and the locals who knew him said he'd left months ago .

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Never argue with legionnaires, they are nut cases. When I was in the army, returning from leave at the train station, an army truck used to collect us to take us back to barrack. On that particular evening, a legionnaire was amongst us and wanted a lift. The sergeant who was in charge of the truck told him to sit at the back with us. Bad move. The legionnaire told him in no uncertain terms that he intended to sit in the cab, at the front. The sergeant did not argue and sat with us. Lesson learned.
That was in 1970 but stayed in my mind to this day.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Anyone claim they can speak Latin?
Dreadful language, hated it at school. Conjugating objects, ridiculous.
Back then it was part of a classical education.
I suspect Mary Beard can speak Latin; but there are not many who can. Many are those who can read Latin, often extensively and fluently but few can speak it. The simple test is to ask the question: What is the Latin for yes? A conversation without the use of yes from time to time is close to non-existent; yet many of the classically inclined could not tell you what yes is in Latin. Learning Latin as a classical language at school is more a branch of mathematics — code cracking in its most unedifying form. You speak Latin when the other can say to you in Latin: Darling, isn't that wheel a bit out of true? And you can reply: Yes, but not enough to spend time truing it rather than spending time with you. In real life, maidens did not only adorn bulls with roses.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Never argue with legionnaires, they are nut cases. When I was in the army, returning from leave at the train station, an army truck used to collect us to take us back to barrack. On that particular evening, a legionnaire was amongst us and wanted a lift. The sergeant who was in charge of the truck told him to sit at the back with us. Bad move. The legionnaire told him in no uncertain terms that he intended to sit in the cab, at the front. The sergeant did not argue and sat with us. Lesson learned.
That was in 1970 but stayed in my mind to this day.
A funny story (well its funny looking back).
1982, in south of France, we were lost. Pulled into a big driveway and looking at the map.
SUDDENLY there was a rifle sticking in my ear. I didn't speak French but understood we had to shift very quickly.
It was only a barracks for the French Foreign Legion :wacko:

Top Bottom