Zeebrugge to Rotterdam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lozfuller

Veteran
Hi,

Looking to do around a 200 mile route between these two ports (hoping that this direction will be better from prevailing wind perspective!), taking 4 days in total and therefore 3 overnight stops in addition to the nights on the ferries.

Thinking of stopping at Ghent, Antwerp and finally Eindhoven as want to stay in reasonably large places, however wondering if these may be too large? Are they all quite nice places to stay? Does anyone have any alternative suggestions for largish towns at which to stop following a similar looping in-land route?

Also, do people have any recommendations as to particularly nice places to visit along the route?

Any suggestions gladly received! Thanks.

Hi,

Looking to do around a 200 mile route between these two ports (hoping that this direction will be better from prevailing wind perspective!), taking 4 days in total and therefore 3 overnight stops in addition to the nights on the ferries.

Thinking of stopping at Ghent, Antwerp and finally Eindhoven as want to stay in reasonably large places, however wondering if these may be too large? Are they all quite nice places to stay? Does anyone have any alternative suggestions for largish towns at which to stop following a similar looping in-land route?

Also, do people have any recommendations as to particularly nice places to visit along the route?

Without knowing what interests you it's difficult to make recommendations.

For example, Ieper/Ypres is south of Zeebrugge but definitely worth a visit if WWI interests you.
Or there are several breweries worth visiting if that tickles your taste buds.

Certainly Brugge is a charming town. It would be a shame to miss it.

I've always found Bergen op Zoom to be charming too, but that may be too coastal for your route.

As to the size of the cities? Yes, the places you mention are big, but certainly easy to get around on a bike. I've always liked Antwerp and Eindhoven has a "small town" feel to it.

Just remember Rotterdam port is a good 30km outside the city.

I've used https://cycle.travel/ to plot many routes in these areas. It's great.

Enjoy!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I would suggest Breda as better placed for Rotterdam, about 80km, but it depends how far you want to ride each day. The Apollo Hotel Breda was excellent this year with a great welcome, an acceptable bike shed in a reception-controlled-gated CCTV fenced area and a good breakfast.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I know Eindhoven very well as I lived there for a while and go back for work a lot. It is a post war mix, but very lively. If you want peace and quiet then I would suggest staying out of the city centre.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Would not fit in with overnight ferry but youth hostel (JH) only a mile from Bruges city centre. There's another JH on the canal about half way between Bruges and Zeebrugge - stayed at both and recommended. But after an overnight ferry from Hull, you'll be wanting to get on. On your last day, Breda is a town which I wish I had had more time in.

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
Even if you are not an architectural buff or rail enthusiast, a visit to Antwerp central station will impress.
Nearby is the Diamond Centre, worth a wander round.
A crossing of the Scheldt via the Saint Anna's tunnel is interesting. You can cycle in and out of the lift cars and across the river without getting off your bike, if you're careful!
Eindhoven , you must do at least one return crossing on the Hovenring:biggrin:.

Brains

Legendary Member
Delft is worth the visit as it's close to the Hoek van Holland ferry (which is a long way from Rotterdam !)

mjr

Delft is worth the visit as it's close to the Hoek van Holland ferry (which is a long way from Rotterdam !)
Only 20 miles from Rotterdam to HvH.

I wasn't impressed by Delft. What did we miss? :smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If you have time to kill in Antwerp then the Plantin Moretus museum may be worth a visit. It's one of my favourite museums - but your tastes may not coincide with mine.

mjr

If you have time to kill in Antwerp then the Plantin Moretus museum may be worth a visit. It's one of my favourite museums - but your tastes may not coincide with mine.
Does it have secure bike parking? https://www.museumplantinmoretus.be/en/visit tells you how to get there by bike but only where to park a car!

I'm looking at cycling over the Parkbrug too.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Does it have secure bike parking? https://www.museumplantinmoretus.be/en/visit tells you how to get there by bike but only where to park a car!

I'm looking at cycling over the Parkbrug too.
Sorry, I was on foot when I went there. Just thought I'd give it a shout out as its a fascinating place.(IMO)

And - as @snorri says - the railway station is a pretty interesting structure with multiple layers of platforms. It can be a bit confusing if you actually need to catch a train though!:wacko:

Last edited:

mjr

Sorry, I was on foot when I went there. Just thought I'd give it a shout out as its a fascinating place.(IMO)
No worries. Just thought I'd ask before contacting them and waiting...

And - as @snorri says - the railway station is a pretty interesting structure with multiple layers of platforms. It can be a bit confusing if you actually need to catch a train though!:wacko:
My cunning plan to avoid that confusion is to arrive on a train :smile:

Top Bottom