Zinaida Stahurskaia has died

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skip Madness

Zinaida Stahurskaia has died.

When I saw that headline I presumed it would be something doping-related. It was actually an accident with a car:
It was approximately 1500 when Stahurskaia, roughly 20km from Minsk, was riding behind a car. Suddenly, from the opposite direction of traffic a jeep entered the lane. Quick to react to the danger, the driver of the car in front of Stahurskaia managed to avoid a collision, but the unfortuante Stahurskaia was riding head-down and caught the full impact of the large vehicle. The scene that met those first to reach her was terrible.
Franco Chirio, in whose team Stahurskaia rode when she "won" her World, Giro and Boucle titles was understandably mournful in his comments. This is a horrible incident, and I hope that if the driver of the jeep was at fault (as it sounds at this early stage) then he or she faces the full brunt of the law.

She won the overall, three stages and the points, mountains and foreign rider classification in the 2001 Giro. She was stripped of those winnings and banned for four months after testing positive for a diuretic (which she claimed not to know was on the banned list). In June of 2003 she tested positive for ephedrine (which she claimed to have taken unwittingly in some herbal tea)
at the Circuito di Massarosa and was banned for two months. In July and August of 2005, she returned positives for stanozolol at the GP Carnevale d'Europa, and for testosterone at the Giro di San Marino and Sparkassen Giro. As a result she was banned for two years. I have written and rewritten this post several times making judgments over these things but this probably isn't the time for scoring cheap shots. You know, when I first read that it was a car accident, I was almost disappointed it wasn't doping-related - as though there could have been an important parable to rise out of this, like some kind of moral phoenix. Then I felt bad for thinking about a dead person like that, as an opportunity - when, regardless of the past, this is a simple human tragedy. I doubt anyone will regard her World Championship win in 2000 or her Grande Boucle win in 2002 (both of which still stand) or any of her other victories with any credibility. Needless to say no-one would have wanted her exit from the sport to be like this.

She leaves a 21-year-old daughter, Svetlana, who also rides.

Losidan

I have to plead ignorrance as I knew little about this person as I have never followed womens racing that closely. I have to confess though that everytime I read about another cyclist dying it makes me question why I ride on the roads....and I seem to be reading it an awful lot lately

resal1

Very sad. Nobody deserves an end to their life like that. We all ride with the dread fear of a drunken/incompetent/incapacitated driver causing us life changing injury or death. When we see it or hear about it, we know it could be anyone of us, or friend or unknown person. Skip has done an excellent job of reviewing her life and placing her achievements in context. Fortunately, not a controversial figure. She doped and was repeatedly caught. She also had a conviction for being in possession of illegal performance enhancing drugs in such quantities that they were for sale onto other riders male & female. Probably the most notorious figure of doping in the Women's road scene.
One hopes that many drivers will read about the incident and think more seriously about their behaviour on the road and what damage their risks may cause to other road users. A serious penalty will provide an element of focus.

Top Bottom