Zipp 404 Firecrest clinchers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone got these and like to share opinions with me?

I have Mavic Ksyrium Elites at present and think they are great, but I have been seduced by their dimpled lovliness, :wub:

I'm planning on getting back into TTing and audax rides next year after a few years away, with a view to entering Mersey Roads 24 hour TT. I'm sure the Ksyriums will see me well, but it's winter and one's eye starts to drift towards bling...

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Having been in web tech my whole adult life (and recently having had a load of bike gear nicked) I couldn't countenance buying wheels called '404'.

This might not help you.

Anyone got these and like to share opinions with me?

I have Mavic Ksyrium Elites at present and think they are great, but I have been seduced by their dimpled lovliness, :wub:

I'm planning on getting back into TTing and audax rides next year after a few years away, with a view to entering Mersey Roads 24 hour TT. I'm sure the Ksyriums will see me well, but it's winter and one's eye starts to drift towards bling...
We have both the Elites and Zipp 404's but they are tubs and not Firecrest, great for TT's, climbing, but wouldn't waste them on an Audax. Definitely superior to the Elites which are not bad wheels in themselves.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I currently have Zipp 202 clinchers, 303 clinchers and tubs, 404 clinchers and tubs, 808 tubs all firecrests

I'm a big fan of the firecrest 404 they are stiff, strong, fast and surprisingly stable in crosswinds, a very ridable wheel. You would not be disappointed with them IMHO.
The only wheel in Zipp's range I think is better is the 202 which is an incredible all purpose wheel, and considering its depth the wheel feels surprisingly fast. Its my favorite wheel of all

mattobrien

Guru
I have got the Ksyrium Elites, currently on my winter bike, which until the acquisition of my summer bike, was a bike for all seasons.

My summer bike came with Fulcrm Racing Zero's as OEM and I have recently changed them to Enve's as a more aero wheel. I was looking at Zipp's too, but LBS steered my in the Enve direction.

I ended up with 3.4 SES, with Chris King hubs, and CX Ray spokes. I managed to get a few ride in before the colder and wetter weather started, so they are tucked away with the summer bike until the spring. That in itself has got me thinking about a different winter bike, well a bit of trigger broom as much as anything.

Mr Haematocrit

The Enve is a really good quality wheel and really fast from my experiences but I don't think it brakes as well as Zipp or is as predictable in crosswinds, but having said all that I would take the 3.4 SES over the Zipp 303 firecrest any day.
The Zipp 303 firecrest is a wheel that's not really needed its not as light or stiff as the 202 and lacks the are quality of the 404.. Its a wheel that's in no man land, it fails to impress unlike the 202 or 404.

You can find some interesting info on wheel performance on.
http://www.aeroweenie.com/data.html

Mr Haematocrit

I had been looking at Enve as well, but I just liked the look of the Zipps - I'm such a tart! :girl:

The ENVE is a good quality wheel though and highly respected and configurable with a large range of hubs. Don't discount them
But I know what you mean, there is something about zipps, the look, the quality, the sound when riding them, I prefer them to lightweights and any other wheel I have tried, they just seem so tough which is great for me.
If you can afford a little more budget the Zipp 188 v9 Cavendish hubs and Zipp Ceramic bearings are worth getting as well

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
Oh well, a Christmas Day plumbing malfunction (the shower not mine!) has resulted in this idea being put on the back-burner for the time being :sad: even at merlin's incredibly discounted prices.

Top Bottom