Zipp SL-70 aero carbon bars vs Vision Metron 5D

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

capricapers

Hi all

I’m looking at fitting some carbon bars and stem to a new Bianchi Aria, fitted with Di2. The seller is suggesting Zipp SL 70 - however my eye was caught by the sleek and beautiful Vision Metron 5D bar. However I read on some bike forum that someone’s Vision Metron 5Ds cracked after less than 100 miles.
Do you have experience of either bar and what are your thoughts? I know the Vision Metron 5D is a bit more expensive but it’s the normal bar that’s fitted to an Oltre XR4 and also to the Bianchi Infiniti CV.

https://shop.visiontechusa.com/en/metron-5d-integrated

https://www.zipp.com/bars/sl-70-aero/

I’m looking for a lightweight, sturdy, yet stylish solution and am happy to be down in a flatter position. But above all, I want cables to be tidy, especially when it comes to fitting Di2.

Thanks.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Which junction box A are you fitting? If you want a sleek install I would suggest you use the bar end version. I have it on my Oltre fitted to Deda superzero carbon aero bars :okay:

If you do go down this route you will need to check you can get the e-tube wires all the way through the bars, some carbon bars are blocked at various points along their length. I had to drill mine right at the end in a non loadbearing area to run the wires.

20180707_115621.jpg

20180804_235506.jpg

20180918_155310.jpg

OP
OP
capricapers

capricapers

Thanks John. Thanks also for the photos. Not sure which junction box will be fitted - it’s for R8070 Di2. The dealer will be doing the upgrade. I’ll ask him to ensure the wires are tucked away and the box too. As I was fitted for 38mm bars, I find I probably can’t have the Vision Metron 5D now

JhnBssll

Veteran
By the way, the bar end Junction box A is part number EW-RS910 and works with R8070, you will end up with a far neater install if you ask your dealer to fit this in place of the standard item :okay:

JhnBssll

Veteran
This is the cockpit view with Deda superzero carbon aero bars, the RS910 bar end Junction box and R9170 Di2. The junction box surround isn't normally orange, I painted it to match the other side :laugh:

20180804_235244.jpg

OP
OP
capricapers

capricapers

This is the cockpit view with Deda superzero carbon aero bars, the RS910 bar end Junction box and R9170 Di2. The junction box surround isn't normally orange, I painted it to match the other side :laugh:

View attachment 437676

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the photo. What a beautiful bike.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Got the zipp vukka sprint on my road bike and love them , especially the flat tops that seem to make climbing easier for some weird reason . The sl70 seems to be the newer version .
I've had a vision cockpit on my TT bike and also loved that but like the bars you are looking at they had an integrated stem so make sure they are in the position you need them as you can not adjust the stem .

OP
OP
capricapers

capricapers

Got the zipp vukka sprint on my road bike and love them , especially the flat tops that seem to make climbing easier for some weird reason . The sl70 seems to be the newer version .
I've had a vision cockpit on my TT bike and also loved that but like the bars you are looking at they had an integrated stem so make sure they are in the position you need them as you can not adjust the stem .

Excellent advice. Thank you.

Top Bottom