Zipp wheels - convert from rim to disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Hi,

I have a set of zipp 202s.

Thinking to the future, my next good bike is likely to have disc brakes so I wont be able to use my 202 on it.

Or am I? Will it be possible, and cost effective, to get some disc hubs and get their spokes laced as they do for disc brakes and use them like that?

Ta!

screenman

Legendary Member
Apart from the cost I would imagine you can swap the hubs, after people do when they fit a hub power meter.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The rear axle would have to be 135mm to fit a disc frame which I believe would mean new spokes as well as hubs, better off trading them in and getting some hand built wheels made up with either some nice Chris king or tune mig mag hubs

screenman

Legendary Member
I would sell the wheels and buy new ones to the spec I wanted rather than messing around .

I would do the same, well maybe not as I have only sold one thing bike related in the last 25 and I still regret it. In truth I would keep them and buy new.

400bhp

Guru
Why can he not change the hubs and spokes?

It was a curt reply but I'm not certain a rim designed for rim brakes will withstand the different forces from disc brakes, e.g. different twisting forces and centre of force, as well as additional stress from more effecting braking.

Happy to be proven wrong mind.:smile:

Technically it is possible but the reality of it all will make it difficult and uneconomical.

Firstly, there is the issue of sourcing suitable 24 hole hubs with disc flanges in road bike width. Availability and choice is limited at this early adopter stage of the disc brake market. But, you are used to Zipp pricing so maybe you can live with that. The spokes used on Zipps are Sapim CX-Ray black. These are the most expensive spokes available or rather, not available. Supply is extremely limited and if the new hubs you choose are a different size to the Zipp hubs you are replacing, you will struggle to find the right lengths. You may have to substitute with round spokes.

Your best option is to sell the wheels you have and buy new ones from scratch. Had your wheels been something with 32 spokes your hub choices would have been better.

It was a curt reply but I'm not certain a rim designed for rim brakes will withstand the different forces from disc brakes, e.g. different twisting forces and centre of force, as well as additional stress from more effecting braking.

If the rims can withstand pedaling torque it can withstand braking torque. Braking with disc brakes is not quicker than with rim brakes because the limiting factor is not the brakes but traction (at the rear) and overturning momentum at the front. A motorcycle or bicycle on good surface cannot skid its front wheel because the bicycle overturns before traction is lost. This is evident from motorcyclists doing "Stoppies". A stoppie is not possible if wheels can skid.
On the rear you have very little traction when braking because overturning momentum lifts the wheel and it either skids as the weight reduces at the back or it lifts up off the ground. Both these conditions are easy to do with even the weakest brakes.

172traindriver

Legendary Member

Think I have seen something similar to what you are saying. For a start the existing wheels are designed for normal brake blocks and as such have traditional braking tracks. These would become redundant.
As you also say the twisting effects of braking would change , and given the R&D into high end wheels they would be developed for a specific use.
On a totally different subject, forks are totally specific for discs and are strengthened for the different forces.
Like you I would like to see a definitive answer.

Top Bottom