Zwift Clubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
During Sunday''s cafe stop conversation turned to Zwift and plans fellow club members have for a Sunday club "ride" during the winter months. This would be instead of going out on the road with fellow riders.

While no form of trainer has ever attracted me I understand the benefits and convenience to others. I do enjoy spinning on weekday evenings but this is a social activity.

I can't understand why one would give up the social side of cycling for several months. I'd also add I feel there's no substitute for road riding to keep truly fit through the winter for spring. I didn't say anything but was shocked to hear this.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Tell them they are not 'real' cyclists and from this time forwards you will have nothing to do with them unless they get a grip and do some 'proper' cycling in winter.

Venod

Eh up
Up to a couple of years ago I would have agreed with you, I couldn't ride for long on the old dumb trainers and rode throughout winter in all temperatures, but an injury saw me getting a smart trainer and I have covered a lot of miles on it.
When the weathers bad its great to have a ride in a warm environment with music of choice playing, I don't do group rides on the trainer, I don't do Zwift, I tried it and found it OK but could see it wouldn't hold my attention for long. I use RLV's or GPX with street view, its not as good as outdoor riding but its a great alternative in bad weather.

I must admit that the social side of cycling isn't as important to me as it was, I am becoming a grumpy old git and tend to enjoy my solo rides more nowadays.

Reactions: Sjw

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I think a mix is nice. Keep a Sunday run when it is not freezing, but when it is too dangerous/uncomfortable to ride or for mid-week early mornings/evenings go for a virtual ride or race. Personally I mix it up, but could not go fully to virtual rides.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
So what? Different people do different things.

Clearly different people do different things and no one could have an issue with this.

The "so what" for me is this. I frequently read of how face to face social interaction, especially amongst the young, is declining as people interact more throw social media. Overall I feel this is very negative and the idea of virtual group cycling is a part of this.

As a club we used to run two spin sessions a week through the winter. Last winter the impact of Zwift, people choosing to train at home, was such attendance dropped to 5-6 people in just one class. Previously the two classes generally had 20 of 24 spaces used. The classes have been abandoned for this 2018. The few members who wish to spin will have to go elsewhere probably having to pay a gym membership, the instructor looses £40/week and the leisure centre looses the fee we paid to use the studio when no other class was scheduled.

While appreciating thousands gain benefit and enjoyment from Zwift I see a negative side effect, in particular an impact on the social element of our sport.

vickster

Legendary Member
Clearly different people do different things and no one could have an issue with this.

The "so what" for me is this. I frequently read of how face to face social interaction, especially amongst the young, is declining as people interact more throw social media. Overall I feel this is very negative and the idea of virtual group cycling is a part of this.

As a club we used to run two spin sessions a week through the winter. Last winter the impact of Zwift, people choosing to train at home, was such attendance dropped to 5-6 people in just one class. Previously the two classes generally had 20 of 24 spaces used. The classes have been abandoned for this 2018. The few members who wish to spin will have to go elsewhere probably having to pay a gym membership, the instructor looses £40/week and the leisure centre looses the fee we paid to use the studio when no other class was scheduled.

While appreciating thousands gain benefit and enjoyment from Zwift I see a negative side effect, in particular an impact on the social element of our sport.
Why do you assume all people view cycling as a sport? Fair enough if you race and compete but the vast majority who ride a bike don’t

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Why do you assume all people view cycling as a sport? Fair enough if you race and compete but the vast majority who ride a bike don’t

I don't assume everyone sees cycling as a competitive sport though obviously I know aspects of it can be. Apart from three time trials in 2016, just for fun as part of our club handicap, I've never competed.

I was using the word sport in an all encompassing way to describe the activity. In the sense if I was asked "do you take part in any sporting activies?" My answer would be "Yes, cycling and walking."

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't assume everyone sees cycling as a competitive sport though obviously I know aspects of it can be. Apart from three time trials in 2016, just for fun as part of our club handicap, I've never competed.

I was using the word sport in an all encompassing way to describe the activity. In the sense if I was asked "do you take part in any sporting activies?" My answer would be "Yes, cycling and walking."
Activity would be appropriate, cycling is not necessarily sporting :okay: ditto walking

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions

We're interacting on a forum though, a place where people hide(relatively) behind pseudonyms and taking an argument to pm is the equivalent of a fair dig outside..

I do get what you're saying re finances, I just don't agree (as a longtime user of zwift) that there's no sociable aspect to it, if anything with discords/teamspeaks etc etc it's incredibly social in it's own internet way. Yet I also feel that a spin class losing numbers to other methods of training could maybe have stepped it's game up a little, smart bikes/wattbikes etc are expensive but an investment for a council ran gym.

(I'd have no real desire to drive to a spin class when I can put some kit on and walk 20ft at most to my own bike)

Last edited:
Top Bottom