Zwift vs Real World

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Technically and legally. The rubbish spouted by ministers was nonsense, changed day to day or based on which minister was asked, and didn’t match the reality of the law.

As for overburdening the NHS, ha ha ha, because the wards are full of riders who went out for a ride or walk or run.

I’m not really looking to get into an argument where I might appear to be defending the tories… but the guidelines were actually set out on advice from Chris Whitty and Co. As the government were constantly at pains to remind us. And regarding training / meeting groups outside of our household. They did get tweaked from time to time, but for long periods it was basically don’t meet in groups larger than X. And often dictated by the reason for the meeting. As andy has lauded to, the rules were more relaxed for people within a family or ‘household’.

I’m not sure what the ‘Hahaha’ is really about. But I’ll indulge you. Lots of the measures brought into place, were to try and minimise over burdening the NHS. The more risky the activity, the further away from home. The larger the risk of burden. The more people that partake that activity. The larger chance of burden. Perhaps you didn’t adhere to that philosophy. But I’m grateful lots of people did. As ultimately it’s a numbers game.

I don't dispute that there is a value to it, certainly. Like Concept 2 rowing (which I used to do), it builds very good fitness for the real thing, but I think you miss so much of the experience if all you do is grind away on Zwift in your garage.

For instance, I'll end up doing about 14,000km this year. Every month of the year here in SE Sweden with rides from minus 16c to plus 32c. I've watched the seasons change, seen staggering sunrises and captivating sunsets. I've seen capercaillie, moose, wild boar, literally hundreds of deer and loads more wildlife too. I greatly enjoy exploring all the little gravel roads here that weave through the forest, taking me to new lakes and forests, hamlets and meadows. I am now (by all accounts), the most knowledgeable rider when it comes to gravel roads in our area, despite having only lived here for 15 months.

Much of my mileage just now is commuting (27.5km each way, each day, 3-5 times a week), where I have a variety of routes open to me. When I drive, I find myself stressed (and there is near enough zero traffic) and lethargic. Even though I'm now commuting in the dark and my colleagues think I'm mad, I couldn't imagine always driving and then jumping on the trainer after work.

There are definitely weeks when getting out on the roads is tricky. I have studded tyres, but fresh snow is tough. A trainer would be useful then. But if I had one, it'd be too tempting to use it when conditions outside were a bit off, and where I'd be missing out on all the mental health benefits of cycling outdoors.

So I'd say, by all means, use Zwift if you want to, but I'd encourage folks to consider it as a secondary, supportative activity, rather than a sport in and of itself :biggrin:

I love outdoor rides and make sure to do that each weekend but in the week when it's dark - it's just a better use of time to hit the turbo.
Better quality of ride as your HR is higher and almost zero chance of injury.
Night rides can be fun but take a lot longer to get out on and you are usually taking it easier than in daylight.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I’m not really looking to get into an argument where I might appear to be defending the tories… but the guidelines were actually set out on advice from Chris Whitty and Co. As the government were constantly at pains to remind us. And regarding training / meeting groups outside of our household. They did get tweaked from time to time, but for long periods it was basically don’t meet in groups larger than X. And often dictated by the reason for the meeting. As andy has lauded to, the rules were more relaxed for people within a family or ‘household’.

I’m not sure what the ‘Hahaha’ is really about. But I’ll indulge you. Lots of the measures brought into place, were to try and minimise over burdening the NHS. The more risky the activity, the further away from home. The larger the risk of burden. The more people that partake that activity. The larger chance of burden. Perhaps you didn’t adhere to that philosophy. But I’m grateful lots of people did. As ultimately it’s a numbers game.

It’s NACA territory. I disagree with your assessment, and a number of incorrect assumptions you’ve made, but we will leave it at that. Besides somewhat off topic.

CXRAndy

Guru
Certain parts of the world are beautifully setup for outdoor activities. Their society accepts cycling, walking etc. The UK does have lots of beautiful scenery to enjoy, but it's generally competing with traffic, so cycling can be for many more of a hazard.

Sweden is sparsely populated with
67 people per mi2

UK on the other hand is populated with 725 people per mi2

Ten times the people, traffic.

I have visited a few Scandinavian countries and cycled there. It is totally liberating the infrastructure for activities.

You're very lucky.

That why in certain countries the indoor training scene is very popular

Jon in Sweden

Certain parts of the world are beautifully setup for outdoor activities. Their society accepts cycling, walking etc. The UK does have lots of beautiful scenery to enjoy, but it's generally competing with traffic, so cycling can be for many more of a hazard.

Sweden is sparsely populated with
67 people per mi2

UK on the other hand is populated with 725 people per mi2

Ten times the people, traffic.

I have visited a few Scandinavian countries and cycled there. It is totally liberating the infrastructure for activities.

You're very lucky.

That why in certain countries the indoor training scene is very popular

We're in a very quiet part of the south. Population density in our county and neighbouring counties is about 31 per square mile. There is very little infrastructure for bikes outside of the larger towns, but there are thousands of kilometres of deserted gravel roads.

But Zwift is very popular here too but I guess that's down to the challenging winter weather.

I'm really grateful to no longer live in the UK. A fantastic cycling culture in a country that's atrociously set up for it.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Depends where you are. East of England is full of quiet lanes where you’re not competing with traffic. Same all the way through Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire , Gloucestershire etc, unless you are unfortunate enough to live somewhere where getting to the lanes is difficult.

South Cambridgeshire , 181 people per km squared, which translates to 70 per mile squared etc.

1699032596723.png

Last edited:

Jon in Sweden

Depends where you are. East of England is full of quiet lanes where you’re not competing with traffic. Same all the way through Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire , Gloucestershire etc, unless you are unfortunate enough to live somewhere where getting to the lanes is difficult.

South Cambridgeshire , 181 people per km squared, which translates to 70 per mile squared etc.

View attachment 712366

You've gone backwards on the conversion. 2.59 square kilometers in a square mile, so 469 people per square mile in S Cambridgeshire.

It really is staggeringly unpopulated here. I've done three hour gravel rides without seeing a single moving car.

DogmaStu

Plenty of quiet lanes in Yorkshire too.

I came from the Algarve where it is 'busy' at the coast (not like much of the UK though) but extremely quiet inland where I could do 20 miles before seeing a car. On gravel or MTB, zero traffic all day.

I was not looking forward to finding it as harsh as people told me here but truthfully, I've been pleasantly surprised. I have many lovely routes that aren't busy at all.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You've gone backwards on the conversion. 2.59 square kilometers in a square mile, so 469 people per square mile in S Cambridgeshire.

It really is staggeringly unpopulated here. I've done three hour gravel rides without seeing a single moving car.

Ah yes 😂 either way the lanes are still really quiet and often times you won’t meet a single car for quite a while. Most of the population are concentrated in towns, and don’t venture much beyond and if they do mostly on A roads. Not Swedish standards but infrequently enough not to be a reason for not riding outside.

Top Bottom