Zwift

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steampig

Hi, might be asking a stupid question here but what do I need to use this app?
I have a basic turbo and I have a Mio with h/r and cadence sensors.
Looking at some stuff it suggests I need a power meter and others suggest not?
what's an ant dongle? does my h/r and cadence sensors not run off this?
Confused .com
Anyone fancy helping me out?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
You can use Zwift with a basic turbo and Ant+ speed and cadence sensors without needing a power meter - it's what Zwift call a 'Basic Setup'. This link will check whether your specific turbo is available. It works by estimating your power based on your trainer's resistance curve and your speed.
ANT is a standard protocol or 'language' used by most higher end bike sensors to transmit the speed/cadence/hr/power between sensors and a receiver. In your case that's a mio bike computer, but to use Zwift your computer will need to receive the sensor data. An Ant dongle is a small USB stick that lets your computer receive ant data from the sensors. Garmin, Suunto and a few others make ant dongles. The one I use is here.
As you're using a mio, it's likely that your sensors are ant (ie talk the right language). To double check, they'll usually have ANT+ or the ANT+ logo embossed on them somewhere.
1535658_258412710980878_51391972_n.png

Last edited:

Brava210

Über Member
I've just started using Zwift. i have a dedicated tripod stand with 42" LED screen in front of turbo trainer...
it's very addictive. Ideal for winter

Stu Smith

Veteran
in the process of buying my ANT+ Dongle,also downloaded Zwift and logged on. Been watching and eagerly waiting for the dongle to arrive as its tipping down here at the moment..
When the dongle arrives do I just plug it into the laptop and Zwift will search for speed censor etc.Or do I need to download anything for the Dongle?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
in the process of buying my ANT+ Dongle,also downloaded Zwift and logged on. Been watching and eagerly waiting for the dongle to arrive as its tipping down here at the moment..
When the dongle arrives do I just plug it into the laptop and Zwift will search for speed censor etc.Or do I need to download anything for the Dongle?
Just plug it in - well that is what I did.

StevePurcell_SCC

I soon got bored with Zwift, I think in time it will be fantastic, it just has a lack of variety at the moment, The racing is good but I prefer Bkool for training and I pop into Zwift now and again

I would like to give Zwift a go but my turbo is too heavily damped, ie this evening I put out what I'd consider a reasonable wattage (234w) but the the speed was just over 14mph.

The speed does take into account if you are going up a virtual hill. Don't know if that had an effect.

Im the opposite, my turbo seems to be too light (14mph at 90 watts on the flat)

Gary E

Veteran
My work means that I have to snatch time on the bike when I can. Zwift is really convenient when I just want to hop on and have a quick workout. I know some people love riding in the dark but, to be honest, I'm not a fan.
I have 2 monitors set up when I Zwift so I get to have a ride while I'm sorting emails and doing my online banking (and reading posts on here) :smile:

Top Bottom