10 most annoying words and phrases 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Maybe but communication needs clarity and I need to communicate what I want to the staff!

Do you assume then that the staff don't know their job?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Maybe but communication needs clarity and I need to communicate what I want to the staff!

Nothing clearer than cutting to the chase with a concise and specific order like "a black Americano, no sugar" to avoid all those needless questions about milk/substitutes and sweeteners.
And no, I don't want any ******* "syrup". Just get on with it, have you seen the length of the queue?

Do you assume then that the staff don't know their job?

With coffee I find that a lot of people in proper coffee shops do realise that an Americano is, by default and to some people by definition, black and if milk is required then it should be specified
However, a lot of people don't understand this, and certainly people who work in a normal cafe - i.e. not a proper specific coffee place - may not realise this anyway.
Hence, a lot of customers expect coffee to come with milk and assume this is the default

So, rather than risk having to send it back I add the black just to make it certain
It also points out that I do not want any room being left for the milk

Sometimes adding an unnecessary tautology is sensible just to make it clear.

Unlike the phrase "PIN Number" which should never be used
ever

AndyRM

XOXO
Yes, that and "it is what it is"! How bloody annoying eh!! I still cannot understand why it's used so much, as it means absolutely feck all!!🧐

Then of course we have that word 'feck' I've just used. I think it's from a tv program called Mrs Brown's Boys, but I'm not too sure.🤔

Edit...just thought of "you are what you are"!!:ninja::thumbsdown:

Father Ted popularised "feck" way before Mrs. Brown's Boys. Sitcoms and sketch shows have a lot to answer for when it comes to popularising phrases which irritate me. It's not even the phrases or words as such, I just don't watch the shows generally which leads to bafflement when someone uses one that I just don't get.

yello

Indeed. In some places, I've ordered americano and been asked if I want milk.

Top Bottom