10 most annoying words and phrases 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
As someone who works for an American company, I had all the names like "daily stand-up," "huddle," and "town hall" that they dream up for meetings.

Am I allowed to sit down for my daily stand-up?

No.

The whole point of a stand up is that the standing is supposed to encourage you to keep it short.

And I don't think either stand up or town hall are particularly Americanisms.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
As someone who works for an American company, I had all the names like "daily stand-up," "huddle," and "town hall" that they dream up for meetings.

Am I allowed to sit down for my daily stand-up?
That sounds like what we did in my last proper job before going self-employed. The section heads would gather round and give a brief verbal status report on their projects.

For some reason, it was referred to as a "pot-noodle". I never liked to ask where that derived from - can anyone enlighten me?

‘Trust the Science’
( not that I don’t trust/believe something when someone explains it so I can understand it but when the phrase is used to mean that the point of view being expressed is stone cold fact and any further questioning (science is about questioning) ….is wrong)

YET AGAIN .... this depends on how it's used. I'd say the context is more often:
"Please trust the science - not the views of some paranoid delusionists who have learned how to start a YouTube channel."

If someone says scientific "facts" are immutable, then you'd be right. Fair point, well made.

Gwylan

Veteran
No.

The whole point of a stand up is that the standing is supposed to encourage you to keep it short.

And I don't think either stand up or town hall are particularly Americanisms.

Let's all gather at the water cooler, then.
Post offices in the US often display pictures of people who are on the run from the law, not sure if they still do or not. Guessing it's because it's the USPS is national so a fairly well connected network?

Thank you for the clarification.

Top Bottom