10 most annoying words and phrases 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Apart from management bullshit words, my own pet hates are

"reaching a crescendo" - as anyone who knows the slightest bit about music would confirm, a "crescendo" is a more or less gradual increase in volume. It does not mean "the loud bit" nor "the exciting bit"

"quantum leap" - this is the smallest possible change in, say, energy of an electron. OK granted it's a big deal compared to classical physics where continuous change was "allowed" but I really don't get excited (see what I did there) by the smallest possible improvement of a computer system

"begging the question" means a circular argument rather than "this is the important question" Sadly this is a lost cause but I still hate it.

And a rather charming addition to the language : a "concertation" meeting. This is a kind of summary session to bring previous work to a conclusion, by, I assume, a concerted effort. The word originated in international telecoms committees who work out the standards for GSM phones and so on. The working language is usually English, as it's the most common second language. On one working group there were no native English speakers and somehow they decided they needed a "concertation meeting" to confirm the final draft. Later an actual British person joined the group and had to point out "concertation" isn't a real word ... it is now and has become part of ETSI (the European telecomms standards body) official language

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
True. Although often used to describe sporting moments which are anything but, which is weird.

Yes, I can imagine that would be weird

Gwylan

Veteran
Conversation

as it "We will have to have a conversation"
you mean - we will talk

just used to make a simple sentence sound more profound and posh

people just need to keep it simple and not pontificate while circumnavigating the thicket

The invitation "walk with me" had two connotations. A big promotion is on its way or you can leave your car keys.

And a rather charming addition to the language : a "concertation" meeting. This is a kind of summary session to bring previous work to a conclusion, by, I assume, a concerted effort. The word originated in international telecoms committees who work out the standards for GSM phones and so on. The working language is usually English, as it's the most common second language. On one working group there were no native English speakers and somehow they decided they needed a "concertation meeting" to confirm the final draft. Later an actual British person joined the group and had to point out "concertation" isn't a real word ... it is now and has become part of ETSI (the European telecomms standards body) official language

Love it!

(I have a highly educated colleague from eastern europe - but his English is still, shall we say, "improving". His emails use very formal English, and he frequently throws in words that ought to exist. These are typically based on latin, sometimes greek. Always entertaining, and hardly ever creates problems!)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
"begging the question" means a circular argument rather than "this is the important question" Sadly this is a lost cause but I still hate it.
I agree, I think that ship has sailed* I'd say that the majority of the time "that begs the question..." is used to mean "that raises another question, which is ..."

I had to look in Wikipedia to check what the formal meaning is.

* I hope this phrase has annoyed some of you.

I agree, I think that ship has sailed* I'd say that the majority of the time "that begs the question..." is used to mean "that raises another question, which is ..."

It's hardly suprising, is it?? Anyone coming to that phrase a-fresh would assume the "raises the question" meaning.

That ship is never coming back to terra firma, Rodney.

simongt

Guru
Middle East used to mean Near East.
Good point. We just have the 'Middle East' and the 'Far East' now, so what happened to the 'Near East' - ? :whistle:

Gwylan

Veteran

Yes! And using a star and footnote.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Getting back to the original thread:

"Please use all the doors when boarding the train". Daren't try that, as I will get shouted at and possibly lose my job.

But, what would you use instead?

"Please use any available door" doesn't address the issue (lots of people trying to get in the same door). "Please use the most convenient door for quick boarding" invites more derision than anything else.

Help!!!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Getting back to the original thread:

"Please use all the doors when boarding the train". Daren't try that, as I will get shouted at and possibly lose my job.

But, what would you use instead?

"Please use any available door" doesn't address the issue (lots of people trying to get in the same door). "Please use the most convenient door for quick boarding" invites more derision than anything else.

Help!!!
How about "Please cooperate with each other so that all doors are used to a roughly equal extent when the train is boarded".

Of course, this could cause problems at quiet times, when there are fewer passengers than doors.

Top Bottom