10 most annoying words and phrases 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
Have we done existential and surreal?

Oops, forgot "drill down"

Dadam

Knowledge Base
and
Learnings

A Knowledge base is a specific thing; literally a database for knowledge. Typically an online repository, with structured notes, pages or documents, cross linked, indexed and tagged. For example wikis, Confluence, Sharepoint, Wikipedia itself.

Gwylan

Veteran
A Knowledge base is a specific thing; literally a database for knowledge. Typically an online repository, with structured notes, pages or documents, cross linked, indexed and tagged. For example wikis, Confluence, Sharepoint, Wikipedia itself.

Can we add "SharePoint"

As in " I've put it on SharePoint" implying it's out there now find it.

Portal, us another late entrant

Yup - jargon in the right place is just fine

but it tends to migrate as some people ( you know the ones) think that using it makes them sound clever so they use it outside its specific meaning
at which point it becomes very annoying to people who still need it in its original context

any older IT person can give you a list!!!

Seevio

Guru
Can we add "SharePoint"

As in " I've put it on SharePoint" implying it's out there now find it.
No.

Sharepoint is a specific thing. It's not a euphemism. To use other words to describe it would only be less specific or needlessly verbose.

That's not to say people use it in a good way. "It's on sharepoint." "Cool. Where? Have you given me access?" etc

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Sharepoint is a specific thing. It's not a euphemism. To use other words to describe it would only be less specific or needlessly verbose.

That's not to say people use it in a good way. "It's on sharepoint." "Cool. Where? Have you given me access?" etc
I get frequent emails from an organization that I volunteer with, pointing me at stuff on their Sharepoint, despite me repeatedly pointing out that they don't actually give volunteers access to SP.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I get frequent emails from an organization that I volunteer with, pointing me at stuff on their Sharepoint, despite me repeatedly pointing out that they don't actually give volunteers access to SP.

It's in a locked filing cabinet in a cupboard behind a sign saying "beware of the leopard"

No.

Yup - I used to work in a school where we had a shared drive accessible to all staff

The Head used to say he had put stuff "on the shared drive" - after a while there was more on that damn drive than the whole of Google - or so it appeared
but he wouldn;t see why he had to say which damn folder it was in. what the filename was - and even if you got that far there would be 20 different versions of that file

why can;t people actually think????
(p.s. he didn;t last long as a Head Teacher!)

simongt

Guru
"can i drive the car?"
On a similar line, it irritates the GLW when someone says to her 'Can you drive - ?' She doesn't, but answers 'I don't know, I've never tried.'
The logic being that if you've never tried something; driving, playing a guitar for example, how do you know if you can - ?
Perfectly good and sensible answer to a stupid question. ^_^

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Hurt used to mean suffer.
Of following bored.
Up used to mean north.
Down used to mean south.
Middle East used to mean Near East.
Transparent used to mean evident.
Having me used to mean inviting me.
Like used as a superfluous embellishment.
Low fat used to mean added starch.
Decimate used to mean devastate. And so on…

Top Bottom