17th July 2015 Night Ride to Whitstable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
In the FNRttC destination game of Top Trumps, Whitstable scores very highly for route, end location, breakfast, and beer.
Yes. On the tandem, Whitstable scores at the top (although the sprint is necessary for a man of appetite in a big field). On the solo it comes equal with Felpham, as long as the route goes across the Gurkha bridge.

Although I have a feeling that assuming I can organise things, Caerdydd to Mwmbles will beat both.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think it may be my favourite, but each time I ride through the seemingly interminable wasteland up to and beyond the M25, I do find myself wondering why. But overall, it just works.

And definitely the best half way stop.
full.jpg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There's a poem by Mervyn Peake called "The Hideous Root" about a man, a plumber, whose beautiful wife always carries a hideous gnarled root with her. Then one day he sees her without the hideous root, and she has lost her beauty - it being all relative. What a shallow plumber you may say. But maybe without having to ride through the grot of Erith the sunrise over the estuary will lose its beauty. And just in case the effect is wearing off, we get a little dose of Sittingbourne to bring out the beauty of the marshes.

U

User10571

There's a poem by Mervyn Peake called "The Hideous Root" about a man, a plumber, whose beautiful wife always carries a hideous gnarled root with her. Then one day he sees her without the hideous root, and she has lost her beauty - it being all relative. What a shallow plumber you may say. But maybe without having to ride through the grot of Erith the sunrise over the estuary will lose its beauty. And just in case the effect is wearing off, we get a little dose of Sittingbourne to bring out the beauty of the marshes.
I beg to differ.
The marshes aren't in any way, shape or form enhanced by the presence of Sittingbourne.
They hold their own.
Are you, by any chance, wearing corrective lenses?
Sittingbourne is an unhappy cough which needs to be spluttered before reaching the otherwise enchanting marshes.

Just my 2p's worth...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's a great ride for sure, and recommended as a first FNR, but I'm sure we never used to go up that poxy horrible hill though.

Round the back of Greenhithe, through the houses with the Dartford Bridge scene to your right at the top?
Always remember doing it on the ride.

Last edited:
U

User10571

It's a great ride for sure, and recommended as a first FNR, but I'm sure we never used to go up that poxy horrible hill though.
We didn't.
We used to go up Old Oak Hill - not necessarily any easier, but shorter, and less altitude.
I have a route which avoids both (its actually the same hill but from a different angle) , but adds ~9 waterside, picturesque flat miles to the ride.
Any interest?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The one in the country that I and others had to walk up as the sun was rising, and that was hard enough. I don't remember ever walking on a Whitstable ride, it was considered an easy route. I have lost some fitness, but not that much.

Basser Hill? After Upchurch.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I beg to differ.
The marshes aren't in any way, shape or form enhanced by the presence of Sittingbourne.
They hold their own.
Are you, by any chance, wearing corrective lenses?
Sittingbourne is an unhappy cough which needs to be spluttered before reaching the otherwise enchanting marshes.

Just my 2p's worth...
Well that was kind of my point. A dose of Sitingbourne reminds you of what the marshes aren't. But maybe I didn't express it very well. I'm not sure I understand it myself now.

U

User10571

I'll put it to Tim.
Again.
I think the issue here might be with frightening people off by cranking up the overall ride mileage to ~78 albeit easy, flat, waterside miles.

ETA - It'd also mean that with a sensible sized ride (~50 participants) we'd be pitching up at the Waterfront at a time when Faye and her crew were ready for us - as opposed to being well early.....)

Last edited by a moderator:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
We didn't.
We used to go up Old Oak Hill - not necessarily any easier, but shorter, and less altitude.
I have a route which avoids both (its actually the same hill but from a different angle) , but adds ~9 waterside, picturesque flat miles to the ride.
Any interest?
Yes!

StuAff

I'll put it to Tim.
Again.
I think the issue here might be with frightening people off by cranking up the mileage to ~78 albeit easy, flat, waterside miles.
Possibly. But if they're OK for 70 miles with a nasty little climb in it, they should be OK for 78 flatter ones.

U

User10571

I understand what you're saying, but the ride as it is can't be described as easy and flat.
There's very little climby stuff after the half way stop. Especially if you take out Basser Hill / Old Oak Hill- wouldn't you agree, Jen?

StuAff

You're right Stu, except that it's not a nasty 'little' climb, it's a nasty long steep drag of a climb. There's a nasty little climb up over ?a road?, but it is just that - little and short.
Yes, you're right. Grading of hills is very much down to each individual, and some climb much better than others. Froome or Quintana would speed up it and consider it barely worth mentioning. On my personal Hill B*****dometer it's a nasty little climb. For your good self and many others it's a nasty long steep drag.

Last edited:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Basser Hill? After Upchurch.
I'm confused. Remember that I usually recall very little of a route but I thought Basser Hill was the one we went down that I hated (and climbed up on the SMRbtH). Admittedly it's Kent which suggests where there's a downhill I must have climbed something, just don't remember it. :sad: (I think it's time for the "memory" conversation with my GP)

Top Bottom