17th July 2015 Night Ride to Whitstable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User10571

Aha, yes, I think that was me, riding the wrong way back to where User10571 was waymarking.

I apologise to everyone I may have bored/alarmed with my excitement about things in the sky. That was the brightest display of these clouds that I have ever seen, and the timing of the Iridium flare at Strood was spot on, just as I rolled into the car park.
That's that cleared up then :smile:

U

User10571

Am I alone in thinking that the breakfasts delivered by Faye and her crew at the Waterfront are out there at the top of the FNRttC-o-meter?
TBF the sausages are a (little) bit synthetic, but this isn't Borough Market, and in terms of quality, speed, pricepoint and delivery with a smile, I think they win hands down.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Am I alone in thinking that the breakfasts delivered by Faye and her crew at the Waterfront are out there at the top of the FNRttC-o-meter?
TBF the sausages are a (little) bit synthetic, but this isn't Borough Market, and in terms of quality, speed, pricepoint and delivery with a smile, I think they win hands down.
For quality, neck and neck with Felpham. For service, Waterfront.

PaulRide

Always at opposition
I was particularly struck by freshness, speed and retained heat this time. I skipped the meat elements, but hats off to anyone who can generate a big plate of stuff all cooked the right amount and even the toast was hot when it arrived.

U

User10571

For quality, neck and neck with Felpham. For service, Waterfront.
The Lobster Pot in Felpham is pretty good too.
I confess to being surprised with the speed with which my order was delivered. I was probably one of the last to order - ie shedloads of orders ahead of mine.
I was expecting mine to turn up sometime in 2018. But no, it arrived quickly.

ETA - Also, when my bezzie mate Clare pitched up and asked for a non-menu item for breakfast, they were happy to oblige.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The Lobster Pot in Felpham is pretty good too.
I confess to being surprised with the speed with which my order was delivered. I was probably one of the last to order - ie shedloads of orders ahead of mine.
I was expecting mine to turn up sometime in 2018. But no, it arrived quickly.

ETA - Also, when my bezzie mate Clare pitched up and asked for a non-menu item for breakfast, they were happy to oblige.
When we did the recce a couple of weekends back. We were too late for brekkie orders. But a flutter of my eyelashes to Fay and a brekkie was served.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
A cracking evening. The new(ish) Friday Night Ride to the Train worked out very well. My shift finishes 9.30. Train to Waterloo 9.38 (or 10.08 if I miss it, which would still be in plenty of time to make the Arch for midnight). We get the nod to get out the door at 9.28. Out the car park and on the road at 9.32. On the platform 104 seconds later. For some reason every single bike space on the train was taken with MTBs, but they all seemed to leave the train at Winchester. The train may leave later than my old pre-FRNttC service from Pompey, but it's far quicker- into Waterloo at ten to eleven, half an hour earlier (and even the 2208 would get in at 2323). Time enough to go to Victoria before HPC. Or of course, I could have done the usual scooter commute back from work, and as long I was changed and out on the road again in fifteen minutes I could have made the last train up to Waterloo, arrival 0032, before hammering to close down the peloton. Er, no.....Lugging the uniform about all night is far more preferable! Yes, I walked up most of Basser Hill, some might blame that on extra weight (what, a whole four extra percent, if that? :smile: )but I made way for a car coming the other way and kicking off again wasn't happening, rucksack or no rucksack.

Lovely to see @bobcolover make his debut, alongside so many new and returning riders. Following the ever-entertaining safety talk, Tim's military training paying off in making himself heard :smile: , off we went. Once past the horror that is the Embankment in its current building-works state, let alone when Boris' pet project is complete (a good bike ride ruined), progress was fairly steady. Most excellent Woolwich variation, which should be the norm I think. Few mechanicals, the delay at Greenwich the longest I think. And then Strood, and the tastiest donations to charity one can make. @wanda2010 got her Victoria sponge (as did I), and for me the lack of bread pudding was more than compensated for by those meringues. Nom. Well done, again, Mrs Decker and team. As Tim as pointed out, if he'd given people another 20 minutes then they'd have sold more (and the green jersey challenge squad wouldn't have had the wait at the Waterfront). As it is Tim has been forced to eat leftovers at every opportunity. Poor man!!!

One thing I do regret missing from the older route through Rochester is going past the old sub- but then I go past it on the train back to Victoria and regret seeing it in its current state. Nonetheless, that second half is (AFAIK) one joy after another. Grumpy Woman of Faversham again failed to make an appearance, never mind :smile: And so to perhaps the best seven miles on any night ride (well, on any official FNRttC, but I'll come to that.....), the Seasalter Sprint Challenge, on Saturday won by Lee on that laid-back rocketship. @User482 won in the upwrong category. I started somewhere in the middle and stayed there, one of the Bromptons keeping me honest till the end. On account of the overall average having picked up since Strood the first half of the ride had a bit of a wait before Faye and team were ready to start taking orders. Never mind, it was a fine morning to sit on that terrace..

After taking my leave, the train back into Victoria was uneventful, the return to Waterloo complicated by yet more Boris Cyclesuper****way Madness. On account of the optimal route east being blighted by roadworks and one-way systems that are helpfully the wrong way, went south on Vauxhall Bridge Road. More jam than Tiptree. It was faster to walk in places.....ridiculous. Didn't miss a train because of it, thankfully. Home just after one, napping not long afterwards...

Chapeau @Trickedem on a job well done. And of course, splendid to see the tail-end team with the mostest, @dellzeqq and @Agent Hilda. May you make as many comebacks as you feel like.

Now, a commercial break...Some of you might be wondering when the next night ride is. The next one that has The Official Seal of Approval is Cardiff to Swansea, September 18. However, on August 21 there will be a night ride very much in the same vein, round the Isle of Wight. Take it from me- as I'm the one running it- that the route will be tried and tested, both day and night (the former recce done a few weeks ago, the latter probably the end of next week), and what it lacks in half-way facilities (these, I must emphasise, will be self-catered and al-fresco), it gains in views. Views across the Solent on the north side, beautiful countryside, the Needles (for which, time and rider condition permitting, we make a detour)…And the Military Road along the south-west coast is an utterly glorious stretch, equal to if not better than the Graveney Marshes for a scenic blast. Thread and more details here. At the moment, the peloton is looking small but perfectly formed, but there's plenty of room for more. For those who don't like climbing, you should be warned that this is about twice as lumpy as Whitstable in the same distance. But there's nothing really nasty, nothing like Ditchling Beacon for example, and the downhills are pretty glorious too. As on a 'regular' FNRttC, our pace will be decided by that of the least quick riders and a skilled team will deal with any mechanicals. Hope to see you then.

A smattering of photos from Saturday morning here.

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
You're not alone. Felpham wins on sausage quality (and cake range if you go for afters) but yup, Waterfront wins on service. And better views too.

U

User10571

In the FNRttC destination game of Top Trumps, Whitstable scores very highly for route, end location, breakfast, and beer.
Ahem!
Not forgetting the Strood half-way stop, and I know that you didn't forget, it was just the effects of an excess of Retsina, combined with 40°C sunshine.

Please tell me you've not drunk any......

U

User10571

Corfiot beer
Top tip:
Stick to the locally produced wine.
No additives, no chems, no headache.
Take empty water bottles with you to Kerkyra to get them filled by the wine merchants.

Top Bottom