1954 Zephyr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Dad had something very similar to this back in the day:

https://goo.gl/images/AaP8Xy
Ah, a Vauxhall VX4/90 (a tarted up FE model Victor), marvellous :okay:

The days when cars were cars, looked lovely, wouldn't start half the time, would fold up in a crash, would dissolve away within five years or would get nicked with distressing regularity (perhaps the last one was just where I lived ^_^)

Dec66

If I keep my 205 long enough it might actually appreciate:okay:
If it's a GTi in good nick it certainly will (make sure you keep an ear out for those drive chains)...

Dec66

I wanted one of these when I grew up.

jensen-3_2006237i.jpg

I still do, but I'd make sure I got one that had been fettled for modern day motoring. Rustproofing, decent brakes, better steering rack, fans, fuel injection, all that stuff. I'd also specify manual transmission, just to push the performance and fuel economy up.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
I was a car dealer around your area in the seventies and eighties, is does not do my head and good to dwell on the cars I should have kept rather than sold.

The 308 GT4 that I sold for £6500 in about 1979 hurts.

Hate to burst the 'I wish I'd' bubble, but £6500 in commodity terms (i.e. relative to average earnings / purchasing power) is about £60k now - strangely enough, roughly the value of a decent 308 GT4. And if you'd kept all those cars you'd have had to spend on storing them, maintaining them, stopping them rusting away, etc. And you wouldn't have had the profit you took then, and the money would have been tied up, and so on...

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
One of these in immaculate condition passed me the other day. It was in the same colour (D Reg) as this one.

3408973morris-minor-1000-traveller-8.jpg

b90b4e5f5e015dce65b68f2eb5748e13.jpg
My Dad had one for many years. He replaced much of the woodwork and kept it in tip top condition.

Levo-Lon

Guru
My Dad had many old cars that would be a concourse tinkerers dream today..

Rover P5
Jag xj12
vx490
cortina
imps 3 of them ,fekin idiot lol
marina 1.8 tc no less
mini traveller
zephyr 4 big square one lhd..scary in passenger seat..
cresta ..nice big car..
loads of others too happy days..

i think i liked playing the driver in the VX490 the most..
i used to sneak out at night in his mini van when i was 15..i was lucky not to get nicked..
more for the kicking i would have taken than old bill:laugh:

Reliant Scimitar? Strangely, I saw one on the road today.

Edit - Jensen?
There's a Scimitar in a compound, less than half-mile from my house, just behind where my wife's IT consultant has his baseit's not moved for at least 5 years, apparently
When l was a kid, the owner of the village fish & chip shop, had an Interceptor

One of these in immaculate condition passed me the other day. It was in the same colour (D Reg) as this one.

3408973morris-minor-1000-traveller-8.jpg

b90b4e5f5e015dce65b68f2eb5748e13.jpg

Nice!!!
I tried to persuade SWMBO that we needed a traveller as the second car, rather than the Panda that we bought
Still, a fully rebuilt Traveller isn't much less, than we paid for a new Panda, in late 2014
Then again, l know which will be worth more in the long term (& it's not Italian)

There is a Traveller around here, that has a saloon car rear-end as a trailer
I have pics, but they're on PC, & l've not got it back yet

My dad had one of these for about 7 years. It was always breaking down, but it looked beautiful!
26082010009_1.jpg

One of our 'delivery drivers' (Paramedic) has one, in, l think it's called 'Rose Taupe'

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There's a Scimitar in a compound, less than half-mile from my house, just behind where my wife's IT consultant has his baseit's not moved for at least 5 years, apparently
When l was a kid, the owner of the village fish & chip shop, had an Interceptor

Nice!!!
I tried to persuade SWMBO that we needed a traveller as the second car, rather than the Panda that we bought
Still, a fully rebuilt Traveller isn't much less, than we paid for a new Panda, in late 2014
Then again, l know which will be worth more in the long term (& it's not Italian)

There is a Traveller around here, that has a saloon car rear-end as a trailer
I have pics, but they're on PC, & l've not got it back yet

One of our 'delivery drivers' (Paramedic) has one, in, l think it's called 'Rose Taupe'

The traveller i saw was in the tea time rush hour. It put a smile on my face to see this wonderful car actually doing 30 mph in a 30 mph zone while all those flash Audis, BMW's etc were stuck behind it trying their hardest to overtake. Good for you i thought. The driver even wore a tweed jacket and was smoking a pipe. :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom