20 stupid cycle lanes - planners take note

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
Doubt that, most Councils are down to minimum staff with further cuts promised. Cycle routes are normally the responsibility of the Highway section rather than the planning section and in places where district council and county councils exist it is the county council that normally holds the upper hand in the matter

Hang on, not being picky but.......
Highways section - council function therefore paid for through council tax
Planning section - council function therefore paid for through council tax
District council - council function therefore paid for through council tax
County council - council function therefore paid through council tax.

I didn't mention any department specifically, but having worked for a partner organisation (read as contracted out service) for a unitary authority I know it will have gone through multiple departments before being "green lighted", and then built.

However, all council and paid for through council tax. So my comment stands "your council tax in action"

winjim

Smash the cistern
The last one made me laugh.
Love the way it was fenced in. Knowing councils that would have gone through several departments and been signed off at each stage. Then probably trumpeted in the press for "providing safer facilities for cyclists".
Your council tax in action.
The cycle path will have been there first. Then they will have decided to put the gate in, I don't know, maybe there were nobbers on nicked motorbikes racing through the park or something. They will have saved money by not painting out / retarmacing the now obviously obsolete cycle path. Same principle with the fence one.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A work colleague hurt herself quite badly smacking into a bollard in the middle of the otherwise rather good Bristol Bath path so it's not just nuisance we're talking about. It was dark and the dark bollard was there in the middle of the track I understand. For the avoidance of doubt she was cycling along quietly with her family rather than honing through on a motorbike

winjim

Smash the cistern
In happier news, this:
13674372526688ed583ee20576702ea10c3cf42e6ac7e-mediumoriginalaspectdouble.jpg

is currently in the process of being sorted out. Thanks due to Sainsbury's though, and not the council afaiaa.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Notice how that traffic light control box isn't actually in the cycle lane? They've taken the time to define the space six foot either side as shared use, so you can go round. It's the same all along that bit, every time there's an inconvenient bit it goes shared use. They must've used hundreds of little blue signs.

Mike_P

Guru
Hang on, not being picky but.......
Highways section - council function therefore paid for through council tax
Planning section - council function therefore paid for through council tax
District council - council function therefore paid for through council tax
County council - council function therefore paid through council tax.

I didn't mention any department specifically, but having worked for a partner organisation (read as contracted out service) for a unitary authority I know it will have gone through multiple departments before being "green lighted", and then built.

However, all council and paid for through council tax. So my comment stands "your council tax in action"

Agreed it comes out of the council tax but then so do police, fire, social services, schools... Theres not that much left over and the cost per rate payer of such a development will be around a penny if that much. Utility services raise far more issues, take a road being dug up (Highways), will it affect public transport (Transport), will it be near any trees (Parks), does it go near on go a listed structure (Conservation)....... whereas this is a straightforward matter for the Highway section and should not have needed to be passed from department to department.

Top Bottom