2015 Rugby World Cup **Potential spoilers**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I see the French are wearing red, something to do with England winning the football Word Cup in 1966 no doubt...

Maybe Scotland should give it a go, too!

Maybe Scotland should give it a go, too!

Oh, they did, but it is sooo last year! 2014-15

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRywdjVcaq3jZuLr1NptbReFP0Upygm-1MQ1iyjA4HV0uOXVsBvBw.jpg

but they just missed out on winning the wooden spoon. Shame. better luck next time.

D

Deleted member 1258

Looks like I missed a corker, I was watching the F1 qualifying then turned over to catch the last five minutes, I wasn't expecting a Japanese win, well done to them.

Katherine

Guru
Really not liking the TMOs, It further breaks up the game that is sometimes difficult to keep flowing. Most worrying is what happened with the Fiji try. The ref was quite happy until the stadium video screen showed the ball leave his hand and the crowd reacted, then he called for a review. This means that the video operator can now influence a match by deciding what gets shown on the big screens.

There is a fully qualified referee in charge of the video.

TVC

There is a fully qualified referee in charge of the video.
Surprised, I thought a video editor would be running the live feed and the adverts to the stadium screens, whilst the referee concentrated on the game and analysing the footage for himself.

If it's a fully qualified ref in charge of the replays, it's no wonder a slo-mo of the error is shown on the stadium screens just milliseconds before a conversion is kicked, causing the on-field ref to panic.:smile:
Actually, Craig Joubert should have gone upstairs - he penalised Italy pretty unfairly, in my humble opinion. Looking ahead, for the final, the ref will be from Nigel Owens, Roman Poite, Jerome Garces, or George Clancy. I'm sort of assuming that Wayne Barnes will not be allowed to ref his own country...:smile:

As I understand it the TMO is a RFU referee - the output he watches is from the Hawkeye system operated by a Hawkeye tech - all the outputs from all the cameras synched at the same time - the replays we can see is whatever he is focused on on his main screen

They really do need to sit down all together and review how the system is working - and how the refs are performing - Id vote for Nigel Owens for the final - there is an adage that you dont notice the best refs - but Owens manages to be front and centre without taking anything away from the rugby

Edit - the part I dont understand is whether or not the TMO has the same rights as a touch judge to proactively bring things to the ref's attention and what those things are - there must be times that he can just say somethings happened without going to replay - the footage is all in the public domain so odds and sods would be picked up by the telly pundits anyway

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
If it's a fully qualified ref in charge of the replays, it's no wonder a slo-mo of the error is shown on the stadium screens just milliseconds before a conversion is kicked, causing the on-field ref to panic.:smile:
Actually, Craig Joubert should have gone upstairs - he penalised Italy pretty unfairly, in my humble opinion. Looking ahead, for the final, the ref will be from Nigel Owens, Roman Poite, Jerome Garces, or George Clancy. I'm sort of assuming that Wayne Barnes will not be allowed to ref his own country...:smile:

I hope it's Poite. The rest of those are jokers.

OP
OP
Wafer

Wafer

Veteran
Friday night was a disappointing game, didn't actually think the atmosphere at tickers was that great considering. Scrappy play from both teams, England lucky Fiji missed kicks and neither side particularly able to string phases together. Subs made a difference, Billy vunipola was causing problems and farrell seemed more in control than ford. TMO was annoying, would've happily seen the Fiji try given, everyone though it was a try till the slomo replays were shown. Even I got bored of the repeated swing lows.

What I saw of the Tonga v Georgia game (had to go watch Exeter thrash bath in preseason) Georgia looked worth the win. Japan awesome, really deserved that, it wasn't just that SA were poor, Japan were very good too. Brilliant to watch, best game so far by far. Italy France was fairly meh, biggest talking point probably the injuries. Not nice to see players carried off but huget won't get as much sympathy as most.

Samoa v USA just coming to an end, not especially thrilling but some good moments, Samoa looking more organised but USA dangerous on the break.

Time for a ride when Wales play then see how the All Blacks go later!

Re: haka's (or what different countries call then) singing over them isn't about ignorance, a lot of rugby fans don't actually like them, partly because the ABs at least have become very protective of them. They'll refuse to do the haka unless the opposition stand there and take it. Not allowed to respond or do anything other than line up and watch it. I like the haka's but I can understand people wanting to counter them, the whole point to is to intimidate. Players not allowed so crowd doing it for them. Not great if you don't see a lot of rugby and the haka is a 'rare' thing, but that not the case for a lot of fans.

TVC

Perhaps the best response to the haka and its variants is to hold up their flag and the whole england team point at the union jack in the corner.

NB: Joke. This post does not necessarily reflect the authors views on the merits of the Empire.

Top Bottom