2015 Rugby World Cup **Potential spoilers**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Perhaps the best response to the haka and its variants is to hold up their flag and the whole england team point at the union jack in the corner.

NB: Joke. This post does not necessarily reflect the authors views on the merits of the Empire.
Which flag?
Four-promo-v2.jpg

https://www.govt.nz/browse/engaging-with-government/the-nz-flag-your-chance-to-decide/

Stephenite

Membå
The present one :P Won't have long to do it tho.

Dayvo

just passin' through
Of course it was just tourist grade stuff, they keep the strong stuff for themselves.

I was on a small island where the chief invited the dozen or so backpackers to an evening of song, food and KAVA xx(xx(xx( - the strong variety.

I had one cup (half a shell), no tingling of tongue, no light-headedness, just a PB of 17 shites the next day!

I did manage to get the backpackers to 'sing' with the miming 'Sweet Chariot' before it became the nauseous anthem of England rugby. It went down well with the locals, especially the 'coming for to carry me home...' bit.

Happy daze, June 1990. :becool:

Reactions: TVC

Dayvo

just passin' through
At what point did you think "I'd best start counting, this could be a PB for the day..."?

After I necked it, I very quickly realised it would be the one and only. God knows what would have happened if I'd had a skinfull. :pump:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Quick question: what's with the chin rest thing on the water bottles? Is it to aid drinking whilst wearing a gumshield or something?

Lullabelle

Banana
Friday night was a disappointing game, didn't actually think the atmosphere at tickers was that great considering. Scrappy play from both teams, England lucky Fiji missed kicks and neither side particularly able to string phases together. Subs made a difference, Billy vunipola was causing problems and farrell seemed more in control than ford. TMO was annoying, would've happily seen the Fiji try given, everyone though it was a try till the slomo replays were shown. Even I got bored of the repeated swing lows.

What I saw of the Tonga v Georgia game (had to go watch Exeter thrash bath in preseason) Georgia looked worth the win. Japan awesome, really deserved that, it wasn't just that SA were poor, Japan were very good too. Brilliant to watch, best game so far by far. Italy France was fairly meh, biggest talking point probably the injuries. Not nice to see players carried off but huget won't get as much sympathy as most.

Samoa v USA just coming to an end, not especially thrilling but some good moments, Samoa looking more organised but USA dangerous on the break.

Time for a ride when Wales play then see how the All Blacks go later!

Re: haka's (or what different countries call then) singing over them isn't about ignorance, a lot of rugby fans don't actually like them, partly because the ABs at least have become very protective of them. They'll refuse to do the haka unless the opposition stand there and take it. Not allowed to respond or do anything other than line up and watch it. I like the haka's but I can understand people wanting to counter them, the whole point to is to intimidate. Players not allowed so crowd doing it for them. Not great if you don't see a lot of rugby and the haka is a 'rare' thing, but that not the case for a lot of fans.

I enjoy watching the haka although I may offend some with this next bit but, I remember when a lot of the All Blacks were dark skinned, black hair and tattoos/ tribal markings and they were big lads ( remember Jonah Lomu?) this made the haka very intimidating because it genuinely looked like a tribe, recently a lot of the players are 'white' and tattoo free and they don't look very threatening. This isn't meant as a race comment just an observation.

Top Bottom