40 mile commute...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Chayzuz, 40 miles one way, that seems a lot bud :ohmy:
I had to extend my commute by two miles a while ago due to a closed road and 13.5 miles seemed a lot when I first did it. Mind you, I got used to it and it probably wouldn't seem so bad to go back to now.
But you do have to think of the days when you just feel like death warmed over and it's horizontally raining aginst your direction of travel.
I'd set my maximum theoretical commute at 20 miles each way, dunno how I'd get on if I actually had to do it though :biggrin:
It will, however, be worth it to see the incredulous looks you will get when you tell the walking lard factories at your new work that you cycle a distance they'd probably think twice about driving to get to work :biggrin: :biggrin:

J4CKO

Mate, FFS get a car !

80 miles a day on a bike, probably 5 hours in the saddle a day in day out will knacker you. Couple of days a week, or maybe alternate days but that is a big ask to do consistently and permanently.

I know this is Cyclechat but sometimes we have to accept that bikes have limitations, 80 miles a day to me is as daft a proposition as the car drivers that drive 100 yds.

If you do do it, the best of luck to you and I am in awe !

al78

Guru
patheticshark said:
Starting a new job in a couple of weeks and will be riding 40 miles every morning... any tips from people with hefty commutes on fuel/motivation/avoiding exhausation generally?

Move closer to work?

If I was doing that sort of distance I would have a couple of bottles of energy drink to get me through it, possibly a banana as well. You are going to feel tired, particularly on Friday, no way round that I'm afraid. As far as motivation goes, have you considered doing the full 80 miles twice a week instead of 40 miles one way every day? In the former case every time you cycle there and back you can note down how much you saved on the train fare and at the end of the month use the savings to treat yourself to something special.

J4CKO said:
Mate, FFS get a car !

80 miles a day on a bike, probably 5 hours in the saddle a day in day out will knacker you. Couple of days a week, or maybe alternate days but that is a big ask to do consistently and permanently.

I know this is Cyclechat but sometimes we have to accept that bikes have limitations, 80 miles a day to me is as daft a proposition as the car drivers that drive 100 yds.

He's "only" doing it one way, I think. He said he'll be getting the train home. 200 miles a week is doable.

J4CKO said:
Mate, FFS get a car !

He's not doing 80 miles though.

As RT said,I just noticed.

OP
OP
patheticshark

patheticshark

fossyant said:
It's a tall order....... if you are OK with early nights, not much booze, then you'll do it...

I think I am. I've finally got my booze/cigarette consumption down so I can start training properly, so I'm seeing this commute as a training regime. I'm certainly not expecting to be able to go to the pub on a weeknight regularly...

ttcycle said:
Welcome back Pshark - that's one hefty commute - it would be worth bringing some form of food either liquid in a drink or banana/flapjack combo. Did you manage to get the rides sorted out in the end?

Hey tt! No, I've been completely rubbish and also I got so fed up with the associated forum I abandoned it. They're still doing rides every so often I think though.

There's another women's race training day at Hillingdon this Sunday which I'll be going to - let me know if you want the details :biggrin:

Browser said:
It will, however, be worth it to see the incredulous looks you will get when you tell the walking lard factories at your new work that you cycle a distance they'd probably think twice about driving to get to work

You don't know where I'm working! They pretty much all cycle.

totallyfixed said:
So you are going to be averaging around 19mph on fixed?

Commuting?
With panniers?

Nah. Saddlebag.

al78 said:
As far as motivation goes, have you considered doing the full 80 miles twice a week instead of 40 miles one way every day? In the former case every time you cycle there and back you can note down how much you saved on the train fare and at the end of the month use the savings to treat yourself to something special.

I have, but I think one way is the best option. Even just two return tickets a week is almost the same price as 5 singles, and also while I'm OK with the idea of 40 miles each morning the prospect of even just one 40 mile ride in the morning and then having to get back on my bike and ride 40 miles home after a full day of work is pretty daunting.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
patheticshark said:
I have, but I think one way is the best option. Even just two return tickets a week is almost the same price as 5 singles, and also while I'm OK with the idea of 40 miles each morning the prospect of even just one 40 mile ride in the morning and then having to get back on my bike and ride 40 miles home after a full day of work is pretty daunting.

I'd say your plan makes the most sense re fares etc but would say keep it fluid. Look at bail out points on the route and, come the nicer weather, you may want to ride partway home. Your only enemy really is going to be time, it's a lot of commute on top of a days work. But good luck we'll all be fascinated to see how it goes, so keep us updated:biggrin:

OP
OP
patheticshark

patheticshark

MacB said:
I'd say your plan makes the most sense re fares etc but would say keep it fluid. Look at bail out points on the route and, come the nicer weather, you may want to ride partway home. Your only enemy really is going to be time, it's a lot of commute on top of a days work. But good luck we'll all be fascinated to see how it goes, so keep us updated:biggrin:

Yeah, the route I'm going for goes basically along the train line so I'm covered for that. Though it's not something I want to get in the habit of, and ridiculously the cost of a ticket at the station I'd start from is the same price as the cost of a ticket 20 miles into the journey.

Thanks for the good luck. I might start a blog.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
I have just seen this thread, and well have I missed something..?
you smoke
you like your drink
your only bike is a fixed gear... not even singlespeed
to get your ride time to about 2 hours you will need to average 20 + or - a bit mph in all weather conditions (ride longer and getting home at 9pm to get up again at 5 30am)
You will have to cope with a busy road environment.. God knows where Clowndon is
Have you ever seen 5 30am before?
When is your daily bike maintenance scheduled? Your gonna need the bike in tip top condition all the time.
Forgive the cynicism but you'll do it once and that'll be the end of it
If I am wrong then I am wrong and apologies

OP
OP
patheticshark

patheticshark

I am Spartacus said:
I have just seen this thread, and well have I missed something..?
you smoke
you like your drink
your only bike is a fixed gear... not even singlespeed
to get your ride time to about 2 hours you will need to average 20 + or - a bit mph in all weather conditions (ride longer and getting home at 9pm to get up again at 5 30am)
You will have to cope with a busy road environment.. God knows where Clowndon is
Have you ever seen 5 30am before?
When is your daily bike maintenance scheduled? Your gonna need the bike in tip top condition all the time.
Forgive the cynicism but you'll do it once and that'll be the end of it
If I am wrong then I am wrong and apologies

Where did you get my 'only bike is a fixed gear' from?
Clowndon is London
I believe I'll be at home for some portion of the day to do the MASSIVE amount of bike maintenance that my fixed gear will require
I am looking forward to you being wrong, and here is my blog.

http://40milesofhell.wordpress.com/

oh and I've used your post for the about me section, hope that's OK :blush:

Brahan

Über Member
Well you seem confident about doing the ride. Your body will adapt quickly to the distance and provided your fuelled enough there shouldn't be a problem. Got a linky for the route mate?

Top Bottom