40 mile commute...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hi patheticshark, welcome back.

Sounds like a really great challenge, I hope you can keep your motivation up over the dark mornings, then you will find it a breeze in the spring, plus you'll be match fit (and then some) by then so will be flying on that fixed of yours.:blush:

One suggestion, do you have garage storage at home or at work? If so you could look at another option. Check out exchange and mart for a 50 cc scooter, you don't need a motorcycle license to drive one and they will do a 40 mile run at a fixed 30mph (limited) to take the strain on those day's that you just cant manage.

This will mean that you may have to attack the ride home as well as in (80 miles round trip) on maybe two days a week, but you will have the ability to take rest days as you choose.

My commute is *only* a 40 mile round trip and I use this system to make it through the week…with the addition that I actually have access to two motorcycles…it’s a long story.

The new job sounds fascinating, good to see that you are following a vocation as apposed to the gravy train;).

I'll keep an eye on the blog, I'm intrigued.

Good luck.

PS…do you have a really …really… loud alarm clock!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
fair play to you PShark, one thing... has the train company a bike policy in the evenings. There are certain routes at certain times of day (morning and evening peak) that bikes are not allowed on trains.

J4CKO

Must read posts better :blush:

40 miles one way is still a pretty epic commute, good luck !

I suppose if you ride in one morning, train back, then train in and ride back at least you get a decent rest.

gavintc

Guru
jonny jeez said:

Sounds like a really great challenge, I hope you can keep your motivation up over the dark mornings, then you will find it a breeze in the spring, plus you'll be match fit (and then some) by then so will be flying on that fixed of yours.:blush:

One suggestion, do you have garage storage at home or at work? If so you could look at another option. Check out exchange and mart for a 50 cc scooter, you don't need a motorcycle license to drive one and they will do a 40 mile run at a fixed 30mph (limited) to take the strain on those day's that you just cant manage.

This will mean that you may have to attack the ride home as well as in (80 miles round trip) on maybe two days a week, but you will have the ability to take rest days as you choose.

My commute is *only* a 40 mile round trip and I use this system to make it through the week…with the addition that I actually have access to two motorcycles…it’s a long story.

The new job sounds fascinating, good to see that you are following a vocation as apposed to the gravy train;).

Good luck.

I think he is youngish and his car licence will almost certainly not have the provisional moped licence on it. My wife is looking at getting a 50cc scooter and it does seem rather a procedural hurdle (and expensive) to get all the bits in place.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
gavintc said:
I think he is youngish and his car licence will almost certainly not have the provisional moped licence on it. My wife is looking at getting a 50cc scooter and it does seem rather a procedural hurdle (and expensive) to get all the bits in place.

Ah...good point...maybe this then?:blush:

I actually see one of these every day, (on chitty or the Loud bike) and it whizzes along with no effort at all......bloody cheat, s'not fair;)

OP
OP
patheticshark

patheticshark

Brahan said:
Well you seem confident about doing the ride. Your body will adapt quickly to the distance and provided your fuelled enough there shouldn't be a problem. Got a linky for the route mate?

Not yet - but it's from North East London, over the river, A24 all the way to Leatherhead and then the A246. So at least I shouldn't get lost...

I am Spartacus said:
By all means , all part of the service!

I thought you mentioned doing it on a fixed...? with gears marginally better for you

I did, but it's not the only bike I have... I have a few others.

jonny jeez said:

Sounds like a really great challenge, I hope you can keep your motivation up over the dark mornings, then you will find it a breeze in the spring, plus you'll be match fit (and then some) by then so will be flying on that fixed of yours.

One suggestion, do you have garage storage at home or at work? ...

The new job sounds fascinating, good to see that you are following a vocation as apposed to the gravy train.

Good luck.

Thanks! I don't have any kind of driving licence. It's a good idea though.

ianrauk said:
fair play to you PShark, one thing... has the train company a bike policy in the evenings. There are certain routes at certain times of day (morning and evening peak) that bikes are not allowed on trains.

Yeah that's fine, so long as they don't change their policy. I'll be coming back into London at the evening peak so the trains are quite quiet as most people are going the other way.

Brahan said:
The Pathetic Sharks were Characters in Viz right?

yep :blush:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hey Pshark - I went to the women's training this Sunday gone - crashed the bike- you can read about it in cafe - good to have you back on the pages of CC. it was a great day though!! I would fully recommend it!

I've managed to get some rides in - if you're still interested PM me though with the 40 miler is there any room for more mileage?!!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
patheticshark said:
oh and I'm a girl. not that it makes any difference, it's just a bit weird being referred to as 'he' all the time...

Thought you were from tt's comments...but I wasnt sure myself, so thanks for clearing that up.

Last thought.

Have you looked at property in Guildford. its pretty cheap around there (compared to London) and some areas are fantastic for a "lifestyle" change (getting out of the smoke and enjoying the great outdoors!!)

If you rent in town (or own I guess) you'll save a bundle by relocating (more than enough to mitigate the drop in salary I shouldn't wonder)

OP
OP
patheticshark

patheticshark

jonny jeez said:
Thought you were from tt's comments...but I wasnt sure myself, so thanks for clearing that up.

Last thought.

Have you looked at property in Guildford. its pretty cheap around there (compared to London) and some areas are fantastic for a "lifestyle" change (getting out of the smoke and enjoying the great outdoors!!)

If you rent in town (or own I guess) you'll save a bundle by relocating (more than enough to mitigate the drop in salary I shouldn't wonder)

I'm house-sharing at the moment so I'd have to do that in Guildford to save any money.. and it's not so easy finding a houseshare where you can take 8 bikes with you :blush:

anyway, I love where I live, I really don't want to move.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Couple of very nice looking bikes there PS, the Denti looks especially lovely !

Good luck with the commute, i do 13 miles each day 5 days a week, but i'm a 42 year old ex-smoker. With plenty of food and sleep i reckon you'll be ok.

Top Bottom