40 mile commute...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
patheticshark

patheticshark

fay144 said:
I *have* got up at 5.30 on a regular basis (though not daily!) to do 2-3 hours of running en-route to work though, which I imagine will be similar from a fuelling point of view. I've found I can run for 2 hours (~12 miles) on an empty stomach, but any more than that, and I need something to keep me going.

oh my god. That sounds utterly horrific. At least on a bike you're sitting down!

I am, at heart, very lazy.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
magnatom said:
...and to think I am wondering how I will cope with an change in my commute from 10 miles a day to 20 miles.:biggrin::biggrin:

Good luck with the commute.

It'll be a scoosh to a superhero like you! :biggrin: If I can do it, you'll have no problems (other than an extra 10 miles for your fans to try running you off the road ;))

fay144

patheticshark said:
oh my god. That sounds utterly horrific. At least on a bike you're sitting down!

I am, at heart, very lazy.

Me too. It's poor reflection on public transport that running/cycling for 2+ hours can seem like the easy option. ;)

Greenbank

Über Member
patheticshark said:
I did the bypass when I tested it, it was a bit tedious. Do you think Hawk's Hill is preferable?

Looking at the elevation plot on bikehike.co.uk the bypass is about 5%, Hawk's Hill is 10%.

I went out to Guildford using the bypass, and came back via Leatherhead/Hawk's Hill and I remember thinking that'd be an interesting climb on fixed, but then hills often seem harder than they actually are if you've only ever descended them. It was also in the first few months of me riding fixed and I've done a lot more hilly, and longer, rides than that now. It's only a 40m elevation gain of the steep bit.

goo_mason said:
It'll be a scoosh to a superhero like you! :biggrin: If I can do it, you'll have no problems (other than an extra 10 miles for your fans to try running you off the road ;))

Aye, I'm not too worried, especially as I will be doing it on my soon to arrive Ribble purchase! :biggrin:

ChrisKH

Guru
Respect. And best of luck.

I would, if I had the time, love to do a 40 mile commute a couple of times a week. But every day? You're a better (wo)man than I ever will be. ;)

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
magnatom said:
Aye, I'm not too worried, especially as I will be doing it on my soon to arrive Ribble purchase! ;)

ANOTHER bike? How did you slip that one past Mrs Magnatom?

Or is Santa bringing it for you? :biggrin:

goo_mason said:
ANOTHER bike? How did you slip that one past Mrs Magnatom?

Or is Santa bringing it for you? :tongue:

I needed a new one for the longer commute (on bad weather days). Mrs Magnatom was very good about it, just a :blush:. :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
lol indeed, 'er indoors refers to our conservatory as looking like 'a branch of Halfords'.. Halfords I ask you?

It's not my fault I think the conservatory is a better home for my bikes (and Auntie Helen's hubby's Trike), then the bloody garden shed is it..

I can't even look at a picture of a bike these days without her saying (with THAT look), "Your next bike is it?"

Get upstairs and do some ironing woman, I tells her.....

magnatom said:
I needed a new one for the longer commute (on bad weather days). Mrs Magnatom was very good about it, just a :blush:. :tongue:

Top Bottom