41 miles and a few hills, Saturday, from Hebden Bridge - anybody fancy it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It was nice to see Calum and longers again, and to meet PaulB at last.

Paul had suggested taking to the lanes at Padiham to avoid a nasty stretch on blackspot A-road at Read. It's a route that I'd examined on the map but never got round to trying. I think that it will be my preferred option in future.

On said lanes, I attempted to prove that driving cars while talking on mobile phones would not be a good idea, by demonstrating that I was incapable of riding my bike, talking to Calum and operating my brakes at the same time! One minute I was chattering away, the next I was heading off the road and trying to find my brake levers as I headed for a dry stone wall! :ohmy: I came very close to crashing...

It was overcast all day, but we had a light shower as we passed through Whalley. Nothing too drastic though.

We eventually ended up at our cafe stop in Waddington. I'd been toying with suggesting going up Waddington Fell to take a few photographs but decided it might be better to quietly forget the idea. So, I did! :biggrin:

We refueled in the cafe and then had our pictures taken outside.

longers_calum_paulb_colinj_waddington_cyclists_cafe.jpg

From left to right: longers (looking cool), Calum (looking too young to be a student!), PaulB (ready for more cycling action), and yours truly - ColinJ (looking oversized, highly reflective, and somewhat gormless - that was supposed to be a smile ;)).

We headed back the way we came. Today's route wasn't terribly adventurous because there was still snow and ice on the higher ground. I just wanted a nice run with some good company and that's what I got.

Heading back towards Great Mitton, we made the now obligatory "Ooh, look - Llamas - where's me camera?" photo-stop...

ribble_valley_llamas.jpg

We went back on our scenic detour to Padiham, together with a little 20% climb - nice!

We parted company with Paul at Walk Mill and carried on towards Cliviger Gorge. I've been riding up and down that road for years and its gradient always catches me out. It looks almost flat, but the effort required in that direction shows that it is a false flat. I checked the altitudes on my GPS unit (doubly checked on the map at home) and to my surprise, the road gains 300 feet in 2.2 miles - averaging about 2.5%. No wonder I always feel it after a long ride. Okay, it's not exactly a hill, but it is a real drag when feeling tired.

After that it was a good fast downhill to Todmorden, and a quick dash along the A646 to the far side of Hebden Bridge where Calum and I said goodbye to longers. He wasn't just doing an extra ride home, he'd decided to take in the climb to Blackstone Edge which gains 968 feet in 5.5 miles! I'd done 58 miles at that point and I reckon longers would have done close to 40 miles extra from Oldham and back afterwards so he was pretty close to an imperial century today - chapeau!

I said goodbye to Calum, who was catching the train back to Leeds, and went home for a nice Radoxy soak. Another good day in the saddle.

longers

Legendary Member
I'd forgotten about your close call Colin.
The house which garden you nearly crashed into was called "Bridleway" ;)

It was :biggrin: up on the top and I got my imperial by going to the Co-op for Curly Wurlies and beer.

Thanks for organising today.

See you next weekend eh?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

longers said:
I'd forgotten about your close call Colin.
The house which garden you nearly crashed into was called "Bridleway" :ohmy:

It was :biggrin: up on the top and I got my imperial by going to the Co-op for Curly Wurlies and beer.

Thanks for organising today.

See you next weekend eh?
I wasn't looking at the sign at the time! I was fixated on the wall which kept getting closer. That's what comes of (a) not paying attention and (B) not having hands on brakes when busy doing (a)!

Congratulations on the century ride.

Next weekend on the mini-North-West Passage - I'll be there! I know that colly is signed up for it too and we are thinking of riding there and back from Hebden Bridge to get our centuries in if the weather is okay.

The beer sounds like a good idea! I have to go out to buy milk and I'm going to buy a few beers while I'm at it. ;)

PaulB

Legendary Member
ASC1951 said:
You should have pedalled faster, Paul. When I saw her, she was halfway down her second pint in the Shoulder of Mutton,

Duh! I've just realised what's wrong with this sentence. The Shoulder of Mutton closed down about 7 years ago and is now a private home. Shows how long it is since you've been up there!

colly

Re member eR
Sounds like you had a good run out. I wish I was able to have made it.

Looked out this morning and decided to skip a ride. Now of course I am thinking ...'why didn't I go out'.

Too late now 'cos I am 'on duty' expecting company.:biggrin:

Oh well ...roll on next weekend.

Calum

Thanks for the ride yesterday guys, I had a great time. Nice cafe by the way, seems like a good contender for future rides around there. My favourite bits were the final run down into Todmorden and Hebden Bridge and Colin nearly going arse over tit, into someone's garden! (HAHA!)

So who's doing that Audax starting from Rochdale next Saturday? I've checked the trains and it's easy for me to get out there from Leeds.

trio25

Über Member
Sounds like you had a good ride. Where is the cafe in Waddington? I often cycle out there but I haven't ever seen a cafe.

After a whole day of bed shopping on saturday, I was allowed to stop for lunch! I got out and did a century yesterday out to Edale and back, so I don't feel as lazy now!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

trio25 said:
Sounds like you had a good ride. Where is the cafe in Waddington? I often cycle out there but I haven't ever seen a cafe.
Your wish is my command! If you click on the satellite button you can even get a bird's eye view of the cafe.

If you are riding from Clitheroe through Waddington in the direction of Waddington Fell, the cafe is on your right as you pass through the village. It's called Country Kitchen and has a red door and red pillars at the front.

country_kitchen_cafe_waddington.jpg

There are two reviews to be found via that Google Maps link. Believe the good one! Yes, it gets busy on nice days (it was quiet when we were they on Saturday) so just place your order and take a seat. It's not a fast food joint so don't expect instant service. I've always found the staff friendly - for example, I was trying to set up the timer on my camera to take the group photo and a guy from the cafe came out and volunteered to take it for us.

On my previous visit, on the CC ride I organised last summer, we arrived at the cafe just before closing time but they kept it open and served us.

There are warnings in the cafe about bike thefts in the area so they have a box of bike locks just inside the door - use one of them! (You might have to ask the staff for a key).

[Owners of Country Kitchen - please send my promotional cheque to the usual address! :bravo: ]

PaulB

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:
I've always found the staff friendly - for example, I was trying to set up the timer on my camera to take the group photo and a guy from the cafe came out and volunteered to take it for us.

Although Colin in his dotage omits to mention the pic above was taken by that collossus of the camera, me! Just saying in case any royalties are forthcoming, like!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

PaulB said:
Although Colin in his dotage omits to mention the pic above was taken by that collossus of the camera, me! Just saying in case any royalties are forthcoming, like!
Whereas Paul in his, hasn't noticed that I was really referring to the other picture with all four of us side-by-side on the previous page... :tongue:

Top Bottom