41 miles and a few hills, Saturday, from Hebden Bridge - anybody fancy it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
longers said:
Ta for the directions, I'll aim for Calder Holmes Park for 10.30 then.
The entrance to the park is at the layby where the buses stop. You won't be able to see the main part of the park from there, just a small area with a war memorial, some lawns and a few bench seats. The park itself is a short walk through there and over the canal.

I'll meet you at that entrance by the bus stops.

trio25

Über Member
I'm working on getting permission, so far its a no, but it often changes! Will let you know by tomorrow!

Calum

Heya, if I end up coming tomorrow (about 60% at the moment) what time shall I aim to be at the Todmordon station?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Enjoy the shopping trip trio25 - catch you another time!

Calum said:
Heya, if I end up coming tomorrow (about 60% at the moment) what time shall I aim to be at the Todmordon station?
Hi Calum - It would be nice if you could make it. If you decide to come, either confirm here or send me a text - ta.

As you can see above, longers is coming to meet me in Hebden Bridge at 10:30 so if you are coming you might as well meet us here. The 09:13 train from Leeds gets into HB at 10:08 and if you caught that one I could meet you at Hebden station at 10:10. The 09:37 gets in at 10:28 so you could catch that one. You'd only be a few minutes late meeting us if the train was on time, but it wouldn't give you any slack if the train was late.

The forecast for here and Lancashire is looking okay for tomorrow. Likely to be dry, not much wind and a possibility of a few sunny spells - cold though!

You should have my mobile number Calum, but I'll PM it to you, longers and PaulB just in case. I'll only check my phone if somebody isn't at their meeting place - (half the time I don't hear it ring when I'm actually riding).

trio25

Über Member
I will definetly be up for a ride out your way soon, it is lovely out there. I might be allowed a short mtb ride on the saturday, surely bed shopping can't take all day?

PaulB

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:
You should have my mobile number Calum, but I'll PM it to you, longers and PaulB just in case. I'll only check my phone if somebody isn't at their meeting place - (half the time I don't hear it ring when I'm actually riding).

Sorry Colin but for some reason, your number has been blocked by a "pop up blocker" on my PC. What time do you think you'd be at A) Walk Mill and :biggrin: that 3-way junction between Bacup/Todmorden/Burnley at Townley? I also know you'll probably know this but if not, may I suggest an alternative to the hideous "Devil's Elbow" bit of the road between Read and Whalley? If you're not familliar with it, I'll show you tomorrow. Looking forward to it now!

Calum

Right! I'm booked onto the 9:37am from leeds, to arrive at hebden at 10:28. You guys will probably be there already and i'll see you as I leave the station.

Looking forward to it!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Calum - if longers and I don't actually meet you at the station, just turn left onto the A646 and drop down into HB. We are meeting at the park gates on the left just after the cinema. It's only about 300 metres from the station road.

PaulB said:
Sorry Colin but for some reason, your number has been blocked by a "pop up blocker" on my PC. What time do you think you'd be at A) Walk Mill and :laugh: that 3-way junction between Bacup/Todmorden/Burnley at Townley? I also know you'll probably know this but if not, may I suggest an alternative to the hideous "Devil's Elbow" bit of the road between Read and Whalley? If you're not familliar with it, I'll show you tomorrow. Looking forward to it now!
I use the Opera browser and it blocks the PM popup, but then it lets me click on a temporary popup warning me that the other popup has been blocked! :laugh: There should be an option somewhere in your browser to view blocked popups, or to unblock them on a site-by-site basis. You should be able to read your PMs by clicking on the Private Message link top-right, below where it will say Welcome PaulB. Actually, click on this PM link - that should do the trick! :laugh:

If Calum arrives on time (which is purely down to the train being on time), that should mean us leaving Hebden Bridge about 10:35. I'd say that we should get to Walk Mill in about 40 minutes, so that would be about 11:15. The junction you mentioned is only about 5 minutes up the road from Walk Mill so that would be about 11:20.

If you don't want to hang about getting cold, you could always ride slowly towards us. I'll be on my blue Basso and will be wearing a very bright yellow jacket, yellow-lensed glasses and my usual blue/black peaked Met helmet. Give us a shout if you do that so we don't just ride straight past you!

I didn't know that that stretch of road at Read was known as the Devil's Elbow. I've just looked it up. I also didn't know that it was on the top 10 most dangerous roads in Britain list but it doesn't really surprise me! I'll be going up another of them next weekend on the mini-North-West Passage - the A682 from Barrowford.

The detour you mention must be those nice little lanes round from Padiham coming out by the Spring Wood visitor centre and golf course? I'd be quite happy to go that way if there isn't ice about, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was on those quiet back roads. Let's see in the morning.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

trio25 said:
I will definetly be up for a ride out your way soon, it is lovely out there.
If that hasn't happened before mid-April (and even if it has!), I can highly recommend Spring into the Dales from Hebden Bridge. Some of the best local scenery out to lower Wharfedale and back via a different route. Very hilly, but worth it.

Lots of sandwiches, cake, biscuits, fruit, coffee etc. waiting for us at event HQ when we get back. :laugh:

I'll mention it again nearer the event. Perhaps a group of us off CC could meet up and ride round together?

PaulB

Legendary Member
Just got back, me and it was great to meet Longers, Callum and last but not least, Colin the J. Respect is due to Longers who cycled 20 miles to meet us, then the 50 miles we did and the other 20 at the other side! What a guy!

It was a great ride in fab scenery that the weather couldn't spoil and in company too. What more could anyone ask for? Alright, Kelly Brook in Agent Provocateur lingerie wasn't waiting for me when I got back but you can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Anyway, thanks guys for a memorable day out and I hope we can do it again in the not too distant.

ASC1951

Guru
PaulB said:
Alright, Kelly Brook in Agent Provocateur lingerie wasn't waiting for me when I got back but you can't have everything.
You should have pedalled faster, Paul. When I saw her, she was halfway down her second pint in the Shoulder of Mutton, still mouthing off about how long was a girl expected to shiver at the side of the road in stuff that didn't even keep the draught out. Said she had been quite keen an hour ago, too.

Top Bottom