41 miles and a few hills, Saturday, from Hebden Bridge - anybody fancy it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trio25

Über Member
I'll keep an eye on this, I could be up for a saturday ride next weekend if its not too speedy.

colly

Re member eR
Hi Colin,

Read through your blog. Sounded like a good ride.

Great photo of Blackstone Reservoir !! :smile:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Calum, trio25, colly or anyone else who might be interested...

I'm toying with the idea of riding out from Hebden Bridge to Waddington this weekend coming. There is a very popular cyclists' cafe there. It would be 95% on main roads so ice shouldn't be a problem. The last few kms are on lanes which could be avoided by going through Clitheroe if necessary.

Return by the same roads in reverse. The round trip is about 86 km or 55 miles. I don't have a preference for Saturday or Sunday. I think that the forecast is okay at the moment but of course it could change as we get nearer the weekend.

I reckon a 10:30 start would be okay. Take a couple of hours to ride out, have a good stop at the cafe, and be back in Hebden Bridge by about 15:30.

How about it?

trio25

Über Member
If you do saturday I probably could get a pass out, will have to check. I would probably meet you at Hebden Bridge and then ride to Waddington and then make my way back from there. I want to try this cafe as I've heard about it!

colly

Re member eR
Sorry Colin Can't make this weekend either. ;)

Saturday I have work to do and Sunday, although I will get a ride in I need to be here after lunch because I have my sister-in law arriving for a week.:ohmy::sad::biggrin::sad::biggrin::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:
I need to be here because my mrs is off to Hull playing volleyball all afternoon.

No good complaining because I agree to sit in and wait.

of course she can't let HERSELF in can she?? mutter mutter mutter.

PaulB

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:
Calum, trio25, colly or anyone else who might be interested...

I'm toying with the idea of riding out from Hebden Bridge to Waddington this weekend coming.

I'm up for this. I don't have a preference for either day but which way will you go? If you're coming over the tops and through Widdop, I could meet you somewhere along there (although the road was impassable to vehicles there yesterday morning!) If you're going around Haworth, then I'll meet you on t'other (God's golden) side.

longers

Legendary Member
Having thought about it, I definitely fancy it and would prefer Saturday if that's ok.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

PaulB said:
I'm up for this. I don't have a preference for either day but which way will you go? If you're coming over the tops and through Widdop, I could meet you somewhere along there (although the road was impassable to vehicles there yesterday morning!) If you're going around Haworth, then I'll meet you on t'other (God's golden) side.
Hi Paul.

I'm staying off the hilly roads (much as I love them) for another week, so it will be valley roads only I'm afraid - Hebden Bridge, Todmorden, Cornholme, Cliviger, Walk Mill, Rossendale Road (outskirts of Burnley), Padiham, Whalley, Great Mitton, Waddington.

You could come down to Walk Mill and meet us somewhere round there? If you wanted to do that, I'd suggest aiming to get there about 11:00 and then heading towards Tod (it's too cold to hang about waiting for people!). We'd meet you somewhere on the way up Cliviger Gorge.

longers

Legendary Member
Great :tongue:, valley roads sound good to me.

I was going to bob along the A6033 from Littleborough and into Hebden Bridge from Todmorden unless you can suggest a better route. I'd like to keep it simple and not get lost and also stay on main roads to get there. Whereabouts is best to meet you considering I don't know the place at all?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

longers said:
Great :tongue:, valley roads sound good to me.

I was going to bob along the A6033 from Littleborough and into Hebden Bridge from Todmorden unless you can suggest a better route. I'd like to keep it simple and not get lost and also stay on main roads to get there. Whereabouts is best to meet you considering I don't know the place at all?
I'd certainly suggest going from Littleborough to Todmorden, unless you have a sudden desire to climb to Blackstone Edge for some reason! If you don't want to ride up and down the valley to HB, I could meet you in Todmorden at about 10:50? A really obvious place would be at Tod railway station which is just off the main road to your left as you come into the town centre. Look for the sign near the roundabout. If Calum comes over on the train from Leeds, he could get off at Tod station.

If you want to come to Hebden Bridge, I could meet you in front of Calder Holmes Park at 10:30. (The road rises up to one set of traffic lights on the Tod side of HB, then descends into the town. Pass through the second set of lights about 400 metres on, and the park is on your right a further 50 metres on.)

If trio25 does want to join us, I've a feeling that she'll be riding/driving through Todmorden too, so she might want to meet up there.

PaulB

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:
Hi Paul.

I'm staying off the hilly roads (much as I love them) for another week, so it will be valley roads only I'm afraid - Hebden Bridge, Todmorden, Cornholme, Cliviger, Walk Mill, Rossendale Road (outskirts of Burnley), Padiham, Whalley, Great Mitton, Waddington.

Sounds like a plan. I'd aim to be at Walk Mill (If I'm on my own) or possibly at the junction of Rossy Road (if I'm with my mate) where it meets at that jiggly 3-4 section triangly thing above Townley.

Top Bottom