50 years ago today. Can you remember it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
A local first day cover for local people?

Had a feeling I chose my words poorly............

Levo-Lon

Guru
I was 1 yr old..but as i seem to say every 2 and 4 years Englad won a tournament once in my liftime but i doubt it will happen again...a heart attack cheering an England world cup win wont be what kills me :okay:

matiz

Guru
Like @PaulSB, I was 12 sitting on my mates lounge floor with half the kids from our street,after the final whistle we all ran over the road to the local park and played footy till it got dark, the England players got about £60 each for a match fee about enough for a decent road bike then.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I was 4 years old. I remember watching it on the black and white telly*. When England won, my first thoughts were "Oh FFS; we'll never hear the end of this. Every time there's a football match involving England, the pundits and commentators will find a way to mention 1966; they'll still be chuntering on about it in 50 years time and wondering why they haven't come close to winning it again since".
Then came the World Cups of 1974 and 1978, which gave me hope. This was reaffirmed during the Euro 2016 tournament :rofl:.

*Actually, this line is a lie. I don't think I watched it (and if I did, I can't remember) - BBC Scotland and STV probably didn't show it!

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I remember people talking about it but as for watching it, not me. I was totally besotted with the trike I'd been given for my 4th birthday that March and spent most of my waking hours furiously pedalling that 'round the block' or down the road to my cousins house (previous owner, in fact 2 of them as it had been her brothers before that)

I must have been 12 at the time and I seem to have been unaware it was going on. I can remember my relatives from Australia were visiting and that my 2yr old cousin kept saying " Goal for England". Spurred on by my mum, who was more interested in the match than I was.
I can remember getting a white plastic football with black panels and signatures of the England players on it. I think I may have gone through 2 as they got punctured.
Buckminster Fullerines seems to spring to mind, something about hexagons and pentagons arranged in a certain way to form a sphere. Please excuse my ignorance, bits are filtering through my memory at the moment.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I was on Brighton beach listening to it on a tranny (it meant something different back then)....

The incessant advertising on Auntie Beeb is boring me to hell and beyond at the moment, and I will be at w*rk this afternoon with the wireless on a different channel.

Top Bottom