50 years ago today. Can you remember it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am 58 and as an 8 year old I was football mad and so yes I do remember it.

Unfortunately, 4 out of the 11 of the English team who played that day, cannot remember it. They all have Alzheimer's. I think that is a very high percentage. I wonder if it is related to heading a ball.

TVC

I was still about 10 days from arriving so I missed it.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I remember it well; but then, as now, I had absolutely no interest in football.
I was more excited by the 'World Cup Winners' over print on the commemorative postage stamps.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Like i said before, i can't remember watching it. I asked my dad if we watched it. I can't remember his reply but seeing as he wasn't a football fan i reckoned we would've been out that afternoon like we were on most Saturday afternoons flying model airplanes or making bows and arrows and stuff. Then the other year a bloke a few years older than me who i've known for most my life, who we used to live a few houses away from, told me i watched it with him and other children in another house on the street. So i did see England's finest football achievement after all!!:smile:

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
It would need to be an "extremely memorable" event for me to remember what I was doing last year, let alone something I was doing when I was just 5 years old. Football for me does not even begin to register as "remotely memorable", never has and never will regardless of who's playing.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
It would need to be an "extremely memorable" event for me to remember what I was doing last year, let alone something I was doing when I was just 5 years old. Football for me does not even begin to register as "remotely memorable", never has and never will regardless of who's playing.

I can remember the trains I travelled on as a very young kid and lots of other things quite vividly before I was even 5, but as for football..... The first World Cup I ever became aware of was Italy 1990 (when I was 8), and that was only because I saw Pavarotti diving about in a goal seemingly whilst singing 'Nesun Dorma' and I wondered what the heck was going on!* :giggle:

* - Note how as an 8 year old I knew who Pavarotti was (thanks to my Dad), but not one of the most publicised sporting events in history! :laugh:

We were on holiday in Denmark that year and I heard that West Germany had won whilst in the Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen. I still remember the green jerseys they wore and the win was historic in itself, what with the Berlin Wall and all that.

Last edited:

Firestorm

Veteran

Unfortunately, 4 out of the 11 of the English team who played that day, cannot remember it. They all have Alzheimer's. I think that is a very high percentage. I wonder if it is related to heading a ball.
Jeff Astles family are convinced that heading contributed to his early demise, and he played a couple of years later

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.

Jeff Astles family are convinced that heading contributed to his early demise, and he played a couple of years later

This issue was covered quite a few years ago up here with old Scottish players. It still surprises me that people speak of it as if it has only been discovered (not that you lot were, I am just saying people in general).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

Can they not remember the finer details or can they not remember being there? Ok if they can't remember being there and actually think they weren't there then they have a problem, but if they can't remember much of the day isn't that normal for something that happened 50 years ago? These documentaries where they have former Kray type gangsters for example make me laugh. "Yeah i remember he said to me blah blah, then i went into the bar had a couple of pints then sorted him blah blah". How can anyone remember what they actually said or did all those years ago. They must have memories like Leslie Welch or be bullshitting.

Firestorm

Veteran
This issue was covered quite a few years ago up here with old Scottish players. It still surprises me that people speak of it as if it has only been discovered (not that you lot were, I am just saying people in general).
True , Astle died in 2002 and, I think it was his daughter, brought the brain damage thing up at the time, it seems it was largely ignored at the time , mainly because the balls have changed significantly since those days.
The laws relating to weight etc, haven't changed, but the ball now weighs the same throughout the game, it doesn't get heavier as it no longer takes on water...
Plus those laces used to really hurt !

Vietnam War:
main_1200.jpg

Racial Segregation

main_1200.jpg

There were a lot more important things going on than a couple of dozen men kicking a ball around

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Can they not remember the finer details or can they not remember being there? Ok if they can't remember being there and actually think they weren't there then they have a problem, but if they can't remember much of the day isn't that normal for something that happened 50 years ago? These documentaries where they have former Kray type gangsters for example make me laugh. "Yeah i remember he said to me blah blah, then i went into the bar had a couple of pints then sorted him blah blah". How can anyone remember what they actually said or did all those years ago. They must have memories like Leslie Welch or be bullshitting.

Because some people just can. I never ceases to amaze/scare me that people, even young people simply forget about what happened recently, even major things, never mind decades ago as if nothing really matters and you can just say or do things with no consequences like they are already senile.

Last edited:
Top Bottom