7th Bike ride - 20mile target smashed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Don't worry about the speed, just focus on increasing the distance and the speed will take care of itself. Also, as a cyclist, you don't qualify for middle age until 65, so at nearly 47 you're still only a youngster.

OP
OP
RobWard

RobWard

Don't worry about the speed, just focus on increasing the distance and the speed will take care of itself. Also, as a cyclist, you don't qualify for middle age until 65, so at nearly 47 you're still only a youngster.

Haha!! I will try and bare that in mind. But at present my body is telling me different.. :tired::surrender::scratch:

jay clock

Massive member
Well done. A couple of points that may help. Firstly make sure tyres are pumped up to max pressure - will run much faster. Secondly I had to convert 14 stone to see you are the same as me - 88kg for same height. And I have done 3 Ironmans and many half IMs on that. Depending on your build, three stone off may not be needed.... (and I was 17kg more than that 12 years ago!). I am making a serious effort to slim down though more for running than anything else

Keep it up and keep enjoying it

keithmac

Guru
20 miles is good going!.

Being a motorbike rider you'll aready have an eye out for the road and what to expect.

I'm 5'10 and dropped down to 12 stone (76kg) from 92kg, any lower than that is too much for me. As has been said when you pack some muscle on (legs) BMI gets scewed a bit..

A better rule of thumb is your waist size should be half your height..

OP
OP
RobWard

RobWard

20 miles is good going!.

Being a motorbike rider you'll aready have an eye out for the road and what to expect.

I'm 5'10 and dropped down to 12 stone (76kg) from 92kg, any lower than that is too much for me. As has been said when you pack some muscle on (legs) BMI gets scewed a bit..

A better rule of thumb is your waist size should be half your height..

Thanks. My legs and arms are pretty skinny. The weight is all on the belly. Its like cycling around 21 bags of sugar. Maybe 11 stone is down to much. Might aim for 12 stone. Thanks

jamma

Über Member
Well done

As most have said every mile is a victory and remember you're beating every cyclist who is still sitting on a sofa. Don't worry about other cyclists overtaking you just ride at the speed you like

johnnyb47

Guru
Well done Rob. I to am 47, and have only been seriously (ish) cycling now for the last 6 months. My weight has dropped considerably and was so proud when I managed my first 20 miler. It soon became very easy to cover the 20 miles and I'm now pushing towards the magic 40. It becomes additive this cycling lark :-))
All the best.
johnny

OP
OP
RobWard

RobWard

Well done Rob. I to am 47, and have only been seriously (ish) cycling now for the last 6 months. My weight has dropped considerably and was so proud when I managed my first 20 miler. It soon became very easy to cover the 20 miles and I'm now pushing towards the magic 40. It becomes additive this cycling lark :-))
All the best.
johnny

Thanks, Im gonna hit the follow button to keep an eye on your progress as well. Many thanks & all the best on your 40 miler.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Well done. You'll soon be upping the mileage and losing the weight you want to rid yourself of!

RegG

Über Member
Well done! You are progressing very well and it gets easier and more fun the more you do it! I was looking at my Strava the other day and noticed that when I got back into cycling about 18 months ago at the age of 61 I began by doing just under 2 miles, but this gradually got further and further and now my average ride is around 20 miles. Health wise, I have never felt fitter and the doc has taken me off blood pressure tablets, statins and anti-depressants and I am sure the cycling has had a lot to do with it.

Top Bottom