7th Bike ride - 20mile target smashed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
RobWard

RobWard

Well done! You are progressing very well and it gets easier and more fun the more you do it! I was looking at my Strava the other day and noticed that when I got back into cycling about 18 months ago at the age of 61 I began by doing just under 2 miles, but this gradually got further and further and now my average ride is around 20 miles. Health wise, I have never felt fitter and the doc has taken me off blood pressure tablets, statins and anti-depressants and I am sure the cycling has had a lot to do with it.

Very well done Reg and at 61 what a great insperation ! Thanks!

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
Well done Rob.... Nice pictures too

So I awoke to sunshine on the first day of the month. Decided to get the bike out and carry on my quest to loose weight as at present I am 14 stone and 5ft 9' target weight would be 11 stone or just over.

Headed out from Silverdale to Crag Bank and got on the canal. Decided to head north this time, bad mistake as the canal path just turns into grass and sludge.
View attachment 146147

I carried on the best I could with back wheel spinning every now and again. But my cheap raleigh hybrid managed to hang in. I eventually came out on the A6, Very fast road for the cars so decided to put my helmet back on.
View attachment 146149
From here I decided to come off the road and use this footpath that leads all the way into Milnthorpe. Had a rest just before Milnthorpe. The Japanese deer were out but they were just to far away to get a decent pic on my phone.
View attachment 146150
I then turned left at Milnthorpe center and headed the long road to Arnside. Many a cyclist past me as if I was standing still. But they did look a lot leaner than me and had much better bikes. In fact today after a young kid past me on his mountain bike made me think how unfit I actually am. Earlier a much older man than myself pulled out in front of me, it wasnt long before there was a 2 minute gap between us. Then an easy 5 lol. But with the legs starting to hurt and the arms. I finally got to Arnside. The last lap home.
View attachment 146151
All in all I did finally get home. Crawled in through the front door and jumped in a hot shower. Just need to find some energy now to wash the bike down.
View attachment 146152
It might not seem much to most of the cyclist on here but at almost 47yrs old and only my 7th bike ride this year I cant help but feel real proud of myself.

Thanks Guys.. Cheers

View attachment 146153
Well done, you got a circular route in as well:thumbsup:

Widge

Baldy Go
well done, Rob (and Reg?!

I've enjoyed reading your mini-blog here. I'm only a year or two shy of 60 so my journey started out similar to your a couple of years or so ago. It's a wonderful feeling when your stamina/confidence begin to creep up as it surely does...although maybe a bit slower for us late starters!

Can I ask you if you know the make/model of your rear rack? I'm on the lookout for one to fit my 26inch wheel 'winter' bike any yours looks just the ticket.

All Best

w

Last edited:
OP
OP
RobWard

RobWard

well done, Rob (and Reg?!

I've enjoyed reading your mini-blog here. I'm only a year or two shy of 60 so my journey started out similar to your a couple of years or so ago. It's a wonderful feeling when your stamina/confidence begin to creep up as it surely does...although maybe a bit slower for us late starters!

Can I ask you if you know the make/model of your rear rack? I'm on the lookout for one to fit my 26inch wheel 'winter' bike any yours looks just the ticket.

All Best

w

Hi widge, and thanks..

If you type this into google search, I am sure you will find one the same...

Bicycle Carrier Basket Bike Rear Rack Aluminum 3 Leg W/ Spring Black Reflector

Sixmile

Veteran
I just did my first 20 miles this morning as well along Newry canal from Portadown to Scarva and back , achieving all over but the achievement feels great doesn't it

You're fortunate to live near this. I've been on it a good few times but just when passing through to Newry/Dublin. It's the best cycle route in NI in my opinion!

CycleD

Regular
Keep pushing yourself... Six months ago I could just about do ten miles at a speed of about 12 mph... I now do 70 miles a week over two separate days at an average speed of 15/16 mph with a top speed of 35.6 mph... Don't give up and you will not notice the miles you peddle soon

OP
OP
RobWard

RobWard

Keep pushing yourself... Six months ago I could just about do ten miles at a speed of about 12 mph... I now do 70 miles a week over two separate days at an average speed of 15/16 mph with a top speed of 35.6 mph... Don't give up and you will not notice the miles you peddle soon

Thanks, thats a great insperation to keep at it. Well done to you as well. Thanks :smile:

Top Bottom