A man's best friend?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
rich p said:
I don't know if this a possible scenario but maybe the wife dived in misguidedly to save the mutt and the father jumped in to save her?

That is a plausable scenario... much more realistic than them saying sod our daughter, lets die trying to save our dogs!

Mr Pig

Wigsie said:
no body deserves to die especially not for trying to save someone.

It wasn't someone, it was dogs. I agree that they no doubt underestimated the risk but that doesn't mean they were not stupid. These incidents have happened often enough for all of us to be aware of the facts. One, fast-flowing cold water is dangerous and two, dogs are better swimmers than people, especially in cold water. So if the dog is struggling you've got no chance.

Yet again one of the dogs got out whilst both humans died. Anyone with half a brain would think 'right, do not jump into deep, cold water to try to save a dog'. I feel sorry for the poor kid but if his parents are too lame brained to think about their own lives and responsibilities over the life of a couple of dogs then what can you say?

OP
OP
02GF74

02GF74

Über Member
Mr Pig said:
Yes, it is very tragic but I'm sorry, these people are idiots.

Dead idiots, at least one of them.

News has been updated:
He jumped in for Laura and this has happened - he's left four kids.

Nevertheless this isn't the first time someone has died trying to save pets FFS - how many times do we hear of people dying in frozen lakes or in road accidents after swerving to hit a dog. Darwinism in action.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My own definition of true idiocy is the inability to imagine in abstract terms what might be the consequence of your actions.

Dogs jump into fast moving water: they are idiots. A dog's life is not valuable compared to a human's life. Anybody who jumps in to save a dog is therefore also an idiot. The only reason I would jump into fast moving water would be to save a child or possibly an adult because human altruism would - I hope - override my fear.

Mr Pig

Rigid Raider said:
The only reason I would jump into fast moving water would be to save a child or possibly an adult

Sure. Someone who jumps into a frozen river to safe a child is a hero. Someone who jumps in to save a dog is an idiot.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Mr Pig said:
Sure. Someone who jumps into a frozen river to safe a child is a hero. Someone who jumps in to save a dog is an idiot.

I don't see that it is either very charitable, compassionate or indeed very rational to call people who have died in such tragic circumstance of which you have very little knowledge except media reports, idiots. I think it would be rather better if people refrained, just for once...

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
Flying_Monkey said:
I don't see that it is either very charitable, compassionate or indeed very rational to call people who have died in such tragic circumstance of which you have very little knowledge except media reports, idiots. I think it would be rather better if people refrained, just for once...
Meh. No chance of that. The attitude of some people on this forum disgusts me.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
As per Peanut, I'm a strong swimmer and may well have considered I could handle the situation. Though I do have a fair idea, and some experience, re fast moving cold water. Sadly he may well still have had a chance after jumping in, but only if trying to save himself. If he avoided gasping at the intial shock and wasn't hit by anything or tangled up with anything. But he'd have had to immediately abandon all thoughts of rescue and strive to save himself only.

A lot of ifs there and no-one will ever know, but still nothing that warrants some of the callous comments received here. We've all made split second decisions that weren't the wisest, and most probably for a lot less reason than this couple.

Mr Pig

Yes, we all do stupid things. However, just because the action in question results in death or injury does not mean it was no longer stupid. Jumping into a stone cold swollen river was stupid. It would have been stupid irrespective of the outcome.

Keith Oates

Janner
Flying_Monkey said:

+1!!

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Mr Pig said:
Yes, we all do stupid things. However, just because the action in question results in death or injury does not mean it was no longer stupid. Jumping into a stone cold swollen river was stupid. It would have been stupid irrespective of the outcome.

Have you never been in a situation where you put yourself at risk and thought "sh*t that was a bit silly" after the event? The human brain makes split second decisions in times of crisis and I am sure if those people had a crystal ball or could sit back for 20 minutes to think about it they would have chosen a different route!

Your and other posters lack of ability to do anything other than judge and condem people (who are now dead) based on a news article and a narrow mind sickens me.

Top Bottom