A memo from the boss.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rhythm Thief

Veteran
We got a memo with our payslips this week. There were two A4 sheets, the first of which detailed just how hard it is to make money in the haulage industry at the moment. The second sheet was trying to sell us drivers the idea that we might like to lease "our" truck from the company and effectively run it as an owner - driver. Can anyone else spot the flaw in this strategy?:wacko:

Incidentally, I feel sorry for the boss. He's fundamentally a good bloke who is trying to do the best for his employees, but times really are hard for us at the moment.

Bigtwin

Rhythm Thief said:
The second sheet was trying to sell us drivers the idea that we might like to lease "our" truck from the company and effectively run it as an owner - driver. Can anyone else spot the flaw in this strategy?:wacko:

Yes - or no - depending on what the terms are. Impossible to say on principle.

OP
OP
Rhythm Thief

Rhythm Thief

Veteran
Bigtwin said:
Yes - or no - depending on what the terms are. Impossible to say on principle.

True enough. It just struck me as amusing that one page of the memo was all about how hard making money in haulage is, and the other was all about how we should try and, er, make money in haulage.

montage

God Almighty
I hope there aren't job cuts - but no I can't see the flaw in that....or the benefit. I'm a trucker noob

Helly79

Leasing the trucks in this finance climate maybe a bit risky especially if there is not much work at the moment. My brother is a lorry driver and at the moment spends his time in the yard fixing them as he is also a trained mechanic, lucky he had this skill as he might have been the one that lost his job.

He's asking you to go "self-employed".

You will therefore forego holiday, pension and sickness entitlements and will probably be responsible for partially maintaining the vehicle. You would also need to submit accounts to the HM Revenue & Customs and pay your own tax.

You would also lose the claim to any redundancy after becoming self-employed.

Perhaps worth considering if you can put the vehicle to use outside of the time that you work for your current employer - but always ask yourself - if there is no work will I still be paying the expenses.

Lok truckin's easy. I saw it on the Simpsons last night. Homer drove a truck across America, fishing and watching movies and the truck even drove itself - get a grip man.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Perhaps the boss would consider replacing the trucks with these and help employment by employing a load of cyclists with the fuel, tax and operator's licence savings.:biggrin:
AVDVan.jpg

gbb

Legendary Member
iIused to look after the transport admin years ago...
I dont know whether this was a company requirement, or a legal one, but 6 weekly checks (like a mini MOT) that cost £100 plus 10 years ago, tyres that cost hundreds, maintenance....a clutch for a Merc used to cost £600 plus fitting ten years ago...new gearbox...£3000...the costs are astronomical :smile:

My infos old and way out of date...but running a fleet of lorries is bloody bloody expensive. I used to see the invoices.

I'd want to know exactly what i was responsible for...

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I think RT's point was less about the pros and cons of trucking as a business than with the irony of saying in a single package, first, it's really really tough and second, fancy having a go?

Keith Oates

Janner
Night Train said:
Perhaps the boss would consider replacing the trucks with these and help employment by employing a load of cyclists with the fuel, tax and operator's licence savings.:blush:
AVDVan.jpg

Another WVM to moan about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Rhythm Thief

Rhythm Thief

Veteran
[quote name='swee'pea99']I think RT's point was less about the pros and cons of trucking as a business than with the irony of saying in a single package, first, it's really really tough and second, fancy having a go?[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I'm glad someone got it.:blush:

Top Bottom