Manchester - Llandudno 25 April 2015 featuring the Inaugural Hill Climb Sausage Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
What time will be getting there as I need to work out which train I need to get back and will we be at Llandudno or Llandudno Junction?

Although timings are at a "formative" stage my rough idea at the moment is arrive Llandudno 6pm (9am start Manchester @ 12mph + 1 hour for lunch and odd stops). The best way back by train is to cycle over to Llandudno Junction after the fish and chips and beers. It's about 3 miles, downhill-ish. Otherwise you get on in Llandudno and then have to change again at Llandudno Junction which seems a bit of a waste of time to me.

dodgy

Think you've already established that miles 53 to 55 (Puddington to Weighbridge Rd) goes across a gravel travel track. Large pieces of gravel, and I think technically it's a private road/track. I have ridden it once, just once, so you can read into why I haven't ridden it more!

Here's my suggestion on RWGPS http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6490653 This will get you from Eureka to Flint.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Think you've already established that miles 53 to 55 (Puddington to Weighbridge Rd) goes across a gravel travel track. Large pieces of gravel, and I think technically it's a private road/track. I have ridden it once, just once, so you can read into why I haven't ridden it more!

Here's my suggestion on RWGPS http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6490653 This will get you from Eureka to Flint.

Great stuff. That's exactly what @Crackle recommended too so I will modify the route to incorporate this

dodgy

Think I might just tag along, but I'll ride from home to Llandudno then ride back again, should make for a 100+ mile day.

Exile

I'm rather interested, and I reckon the Other Half would be too, until I mention it's the better part of 100 miles, at which point he might get a bit less interested and allow me to carry on with this sort of madness on my own. Still, I might put the idea to him, just to confirm my suspicions.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm rather interested, and I reckon the Other Half would be too, until I mention it's the better part of 100 miles, at which point he might get a bit less interested and allow me to carry on with this sort of madness on my own. Still, I might put the idea to him, just to confirm my suspicions.

Great stuff. 97 miles from Manchester (albeit flat miles) is not easy for everyone. That's why I suggested those uncomfortable with the distance don't bale out of the ride all together but instead pick a start point later in the ride like Altrincham (85 miles) or Eureka Café Chester (45 miles).

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
BTW, I've updated the route, following @dodgy advice on best route from Eureka café to A548

Somewhat bizarrely, in doing so, the ascending feet increased from 2,400 to 2,900. I treble checked the route and the new file is exactly the same as the old one except this slight modification. I can only assume its a mapping glitch on ridewith gps. Let's all assume it's 2.400 OK...that way we can all feel better about the ride's flatness :thumbsup:

Reactions: 4F

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
BTW, I've updated the route, following @dodgy advice on best route from Eureka café to A548

Somewhat bizarrely, in doing so, the ascending feet increased from 2,400 to 2,900. I treble checked the route and the new file is exactly the same as the old one except this slight modification. I can only assume its a mapping glitch on ridewith gps. Let's all assume it's 2.400 OK...that way we can all feel better about the ride's flatness :thumbsup:

Here we go, as soon as I mention riding fixed all of a sudden the amount of climbing has increased by 500 feet....

dodgy

Definitely a glitch, I know the area intimately and route from Eureka to Flint is as flat as a witch's tit, it's mostly downhill to the Dee river and then flat after that to Flint.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Here we go, as soon as I mention riding fixed all of a sudden the amount of climbing has increased by 500 feet....

Here's the deal

When we get to Llandudno, anyone who can ride their fixed up to the top of the Great Orme I will pay for their fish and chips

(having seen the profile I think I'm on safe ground)

Reactions: 4F
I did a very similar route from Bolton to Anglesey last year and enjoyed it, but I used main roads a bit more.
Put me down please, it will give a target to aim for when I am back on my bike.

Top Bottom