Manchester - Llandudno 25 April 2015 featuring the Inaugural Hill Climb Sausage Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
25th good for me too. will be starting at Chester I think. make the decision closer to time though.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Put my name down for this one,Saturday's are good for me because I do not have to go in work to feed my critters that day. Not been on a train for years, will we have to pre-book ? Last time I took my bike on one there was a guard's van !

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I may up that way tomorrow, could you post an image of the offending bit and I might be able to check it out.
Note that to go through Chester is very easy and probably more direct. Just hop on the greenway at Micke Trafford and this takes you directly to Queens Ferry on route 5.
http://www.chestercyclecity.org/wp-content/themes/CycleChester/files/Millennium Cycle Route Map.pdf
Misses out Eureka though :-(.

Thanks for the offer. I kept us north of Chester to go to Eureka and also the city will be busy Saturday lunchtime. The little bit of the route that needs checking is below. It looks fine until you get to the 200m bit next to Shotwick Lake. The alternative route from Eureka to A548 isn't as direct so I prefer to use this one if possible

Screenshot (1).png

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Some fabulous villages just in-land. We have a caravan just near the NCN5's costal start in Gronnant, so if I'm up for it, or more likely at the caravan, a brew stop is on offer !

I like lumpiness:thumbsup:

I like lumpy too but I have to be mindful that it's quite a long ride and if I make it hilly in places it will probably put some people off. If you look closely I have taken us off the A548 where possible through bypassed villages.

If anyone really wants a hill to climb up then this is for you. It starts at the Fish and Chip restaurant in Llandudno and finishes at the top of the Great Orme. We can watch those who want to do it while tucking in to the grub.^_^

Screenshot (3).png

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Put my name down for this one,Saturday's are good for me because I do not have to go in work to feed my critters that day. Not been on a train for years, will we have to pre-book ? Last time I took my bike on one there was a guard's van !

Great. Regarding the return train if you want a pre-booked place for your bike on the train then it's all in the link attached. The spaces are limited but Arriva Trains were relaxed about letting unbooked bikes on the train when I travelled Llandudno Junction - Manchester last summer.

http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/Bicycles/

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just a normal hill for us Pennine dwellers then :whistle:

upload_2014-11-16_10-0-29.png

1 mile/536ft. (EDIT: and that is only a bit of the hill :laugh:)

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
When I click on the route attachments I just see lots of numbers. What am I doing wrong?

The idea of the file is that you save it to your device then use a website like www.ridewithgps.com to view the route. Ultimately this is the file you will need if you are going to use a gps navigation device on the day. The alternative is to print off the cuesheet which you can also do on this website

Alternatively you can follow this link to the route as I have made it public in post #1

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer. I kept us north of Chester to go to Eureka and also the city will be busy Saturday lunchtime. The little bit of the route that needs checking is below. It looks fine until you get to the 200m bit next to Shotwick Lake. The alternative route from Eureka to A548 isn't as direct so I prefer to use this one if possible

View attachment 61780

Rode down half of it, it was an untarmaced farm track which could be done with care (really it was footpath only, no cars), but then there is a locked gate going across the track with no footpath / stile around it. So unless people want to clamber over with their bikes, its a no.

So the two main options are:
* Chester isn't too bad on a Saturday and its dedicated cycle paths pretty much all of the way (with some cafes in Chester). In fact you can take the Greenway into Northgate, drop down through Chester to pick up food (http://thecakefairychester.weebly.com/menu.html) and then head out on the Dee cycle path (along the banks of the Dee)
* The Eureka (very good) and the A550 / A548 (not so good)

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Rode down half of it, it was an untarmaced farm track which could be done with care (really it was footpath only, no cars), but then there is a locked gate going across the track with no footpath / stile around it. So unless people want to clamber over with their bikes, its a no.

So the two main options are:
* Chester isn't too bad on a Saturday and its dedicated cycle paths pretty much all of the way (with some cafes in Chester). In fact you can take the Greenway into Northgate, drop down through Chester to pick up food (http://thecakefairychester.weebly.com/menu.html) and then head out on the Dee cycle path (along the banks of the Dee)
* The Eureka (very good) and the A550 / A548 (not so good)

Thanks very much. I will look into a route amendment and modify the file accordingly

Thanks very much. I will look into a route amendment and modify the file accordingly
A common way from the Eureka is to go back towards Chester and right down Woodbank lane which leads onto a cyclepath that takes you onto A548 or further down over the Hawarden Bridge and then through Connahs Quay and join the A548. The latter cuts out the dual carriageway bridge but as I've only been as far as Hawarden, I don't personally know it beyond. It is though a pleasant ride as far as the bridge. Looking at mapmyride, you can stay off that fast dual carriageway section until after the bridge, which with a larger group might be an idea.

Last edited:

Freds Dad

Veteran
Great. Regarding the return train if you want a pre-booked place for your bike on the train then it's all in the link attached. The spaces are limited but Arriva Trains were relaxed about letting unbooked bikes on the train when I travelled Llandudno Junction - Manchester last summer.

http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/Bicycles/

What time will be getting there as I need to work out which train I need to get back and will we be at Llandudno or Llandudno Junction?

Top Bottom