Manchester - Llandudno 25 April 2015 featuring the Inaugural Hill Climb Sausage Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS there is also a bar at the Ski Centre with great views. The down side its up a very steep hill.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
OK, here's the full route.

Thanks to @400bhp for the route out of Manchester to High Legh. After that it follows NCN70 to Chester. We then make a stop at http://www.eurekacyclistscafe.co.uk/ which is a famous cyclist's café at the 50 mile mark. After lunch we work across to the A548 which takes us to the North Wales Coastal Cycleway http://www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/pages/nwles_co_cyw.htm . This takes us all the way to Llandudno.

The whole thing is designed to allow riders to start and finish wherever they like. So you can start with me at Manchester Piccadilly (95 miles), take a tram train to Altrincham (85 miles) or even start in Chester (45 miles). You can see from the profile that there are just a few little lumps and bumps out to Chester, then it's flat as a flat thing. Just a little stinger before the run into Llandudno

I just have one small reservation about the route which perhaps a Wirral/Chester local can advise on? After Puddington we go via Shotwick Lake to A548. This isn't on google maps. It looks fine except perhaps a 200m stretch by the lake.

Last edited:
I don't know that section by Shotton because I go straight on after the marshes and into the industrial estate and that's left but I know one path does go left, so maybe someone else knows that path.

Have you ridden the A548? It's quite an industrial road in places.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I don't know that section by Shotton because I go straight on after the marshes and into the industrial estate and that's left but I know one path does go left, so maybe someone else knows that path.

Have you ridden the A548? It's quite an industrial road.

Yeah, I rode the A548 this summer. It isn't pretty but to get out to the N Wales Cycleway from Chester there aren't many options. I have taken us off through villages where possible (these have been bypassed by the A548)

Yeah, I rode the A548 this summer. It isn't pretty but to get out to the N Wales Cycleway from Chester there aren't many options. I have taken us off through villages where possible (these have been bypassed by the A548)
There aren't, especially if you want to go up the coast. There's NCN5 but that goes inland so involves climbing. I don't go that way on the bike or in the car much, maybe @dodgy could advise?

Are you planning on stopping at the Eureka cafe? That would be a good meet up for Wirral/Liverpool riders.

400bhp

Guru
Sorry @nickyboy , I just looked at your route and realised I have led you down an off road section that you don't want to do. My fault, I must have had Ridewithgps on walking:blush:

Here is the offending error-about 10.5 miles in:

wrong way.jpg

You need to re-route onto Black Moss Road, then Left onto School Lane. At the moment, it takes you along the canal. Sorry.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Sorry @nickyboy , I just looked at your route and realised I have led you down an off road section that you don't want to do. My fault, I must have had Ridewithgps on walking:blush:

Here is the offending error-about 10.5 miles in:

View attachment 61729

You need to re-route onto Black Moss Road, then Left onto School Lane. At the moment, it takes you along the canal. Sorry.

No problem. I have modified the route file in my post #68

I may up that way tomorrow, could you post an image of the offending bit and I might be able to check it out.
Note that to go through Chester is very easy and probably more direct. Just hop on the greenway at Micke Trafford and this takes you directly to Queens Ferry on route 5.
http://www.chestercyclecity.org/wp-content/themes/CycleChester/files/Millennium Cycle Route Map.pdf
Misses out Eureka though :-(.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I know the A548 well, its not too bad for cycling down, but it is boring (bad enough driving it every week). You can dive off at Talacre or Gronnant, but Talacre needs a ride through the caravan site. If you ride in-land it's lumpy.

Top Bottom