A sticky mess on the carpet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
spandex said:
Do your cycle maintenance indoors!

Thats old school now the way of doing it is out side then take it in doors to warm it up and keep it next to your bed:ohmy:

Or is that just me:blush::laugh:

I apologise, but no bicycles are involved in this scenario. :eek::smile:
There is:

Grapefruit marmelade fallen from my toast which fell on the floor sticky side down
and
Cat's paw covered in mud, more cat's paws covered in mud

Me not noticing the stickiness for a few weeks, now mud and marmelade ground into the carpet. Fortunately ? it is a dark blue kitchen carpet, with various colours in it. I could end up with a very clean bit in the middle of the floor, and then have to clean the whole kitchen carpet.
:wacko:

Hire a carpet cleaner and give it a blast with that. IMO the Rugdoctor is the best one to use, gets really deep into the pile. I think you can get them from Homebase but I don't know what the cost would be, sorry.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you've any spare carpet you can always cut out and replace a patch. It's a recognised repair technique. When I was a kid my parents got new pale green carpets fitted throughout the house. A few days later I was painting a model aircraft and.... you guessed it - I spilled the tin of Humbrol on the new carpet! I'd seen the carpet fitters at work and learned about nap so with heart in mouth I cut out a small square, cut a slightly larger square from some spare, determined the direction of the nap, inserted some sticky tape underneath and fitted the patch, hammering it flat and worrying the edges together like I'd seen the fitters do when joining pieces. My parents never knew!

U

User482

If you have one, use a steam cleaner to loosen the dirt, then clean with Autoglym car interior shampoo. Much better than any carpet cleaner I've used.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Thank you ppl for helpful (and some funny) suggestions. The carpet is now about 12 years old, and in the kitchen. I think the answer is a very good clean all over. I will try the car carpet shampoo I think.

The cat is feeling better now. He eats mostly dry cat food, so does not make a mess, it was me who made the most mess.

U

User482

Speicher said:
Thank you ppl for helpful (and some funny) suggestions. The carpet is now about 12 years old, and in the kitchen. I think the answer is a very good clean all over. I will try the car carpet shampoo I think.

The cat is feeling better now. He eats mostly dry cat food, so does not make a mess, it was me who made the most mess.

As a mountain biker, I've become rather adept at removing mud from the carpet!

Once you have your shampoo, get a microfibre general purpose cloth and a bowl of clean water. Spray the dirty area with the shampoo, then use the cloth to rub the carpet clean. Rinse the cloth and repeat as necessary, otherwise you'll just transfer dirt from the cloth back to the carpet.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Your problem is going to be that you are going to leave clean patches on a grubby old carpet.

Arch

Married to Night Train
And with regard to the toast problem: I saw a thing on telly about this the other day, apparently the reason toast nearly always falls sticky side down is due to the fact that it is usually falling from about the same height, and usually rotates as it falls and therefore doesn't have time to do a complete circuit from standard worktop/waist/table height. The answer, is to eat your toast higher up so that it has time to do a full rotation - sit on a very tall stool, or if you are carrying it, wear stilts....

Hope this helps....:biggrin:

Top Bottom