A unusual cycling calamity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
This short tale revolves around Crawleyside Bank in County Durham - it's a well-known stiff road climb in these parts.

Earlier today I was in the cafe at Parkhead Station, which is at the top of the climb.

In walked a fit looking young man who had some nasty scratches and cuts on his shin - blood was trickling down to his sock.

I made the obvious inquiry and he told me he had fallen off on Crawleyside - while climbing it.

Falling off going down I could understand, there are a couple of nasty sharp bends at the bottom.

But going up?

It was difficult not to laugh, but to be fair to the lad I think he saw the funny side.

He was on his mountain bike and not clipped in, a foot flew off a pedal and next thing he knew he's rolling around on the asphalt.

Any other unusual cycling calamities?

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I failed to unclip at the appropriate time as i was riding up to greet a friend and very slowly fell into a bed of pricks as in a bed of roses.

Never failed to unclip again.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
My last off was uphill. Riding a sportive a few years back we were on our way up a stiff climb on a very narrow lane grinding away at a slow pace. My front wheel found a patch of mud and spun ninety degrees to the right taking me across the road and stalling. No time to unclip (Fortunately, an extended limb is likely to break) and down I went, falling down the slope. I took the impact on my shoulder but managed to sprain my wrist in the process, forcing an abandonment and a painful ride back to the finish when it got too much about five miles further on. Slow speed tumbles can be the worst, no speed burns but you hit the deck with all your weight.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Back in't dark ages I worked as a Park Ranger. Patrolling on a bridleway on a motorcycle I pulled to the side to let a group of rather attractive young females on horseback pass by. Put my left foot onto where the ground should have been to find I'd strayed rather close to the deep ditch at the side of the path and proceeded to do a very graceful Delboy onto my side. No damage, except to my pride.

Fair play to them, they managed to supress the laughter into a few giggles, unlike my colleague who virtually P'd himself.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Having tooled about on the MTB for best part of 3 hours, in woods, over rocks and tree roots, down slopes, with no injury, we decided to stop off for a cup of tea.
There was a decking type floor and wooden bench outside. I pulled up to it, slowed, and just before I should have dismounted, I fell sideways and hit the floor. My audience gave me around of applause :laugh:
Only thing dented was my pride. My excuse was my legs were tired :biggrin:

D

Deleted member 1258

I remember a rough stuff club ride from a very long time ago, crossing a field I dropped the front of the bike into a hole, unfortunately I couldn't get a foot out of the toeclips and disappeared into the hole still strapped to the bike, when I finally untangled myself from the bike and climbed out I found the rest of the lads stood at the bottom of the field giving me marks out of ten.

PK99

Legendary Member
Riding out from my garage along the service track I suddenly found myself unceremoniously ejected backwards off the bike....wtf?

Turned out that a fencing board had come adrift and an ivy disguised board had "jousted" me in the chest.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I fell off while the bike was stationary: braking on seeing a red light, I failed to slide off the saddle, was stopped before my foot was down, toppled sideways.
A taxi driver across the road, also stopped at the lights, was very concerned while I was laughing my head off :laugh:
Another time, chatting while riding, I did not notice there was a ditch under the grassy edge of the path ... steered right into it, ended up underneath the bike, legs dangling in the air :rolleyes:

jhawk

Veteran
My last off was a couple of years ago. Coming down a flat bit of road on the MTB, turning left across another road. Across the road, there was this car park which isn't really a car park, merely a collection of potholes. I was going far too fast. Zoomed into the sea of potholes, off the bike - face-first. Lost a few layers of skin on my chin and bad gravel rash in my hands. A guy stopped to ask if I was okay, then saw my face and gave me $20 for a Subway! I completed my ride, picked up my sub, went home. Dad opened the door.

"What the fark happened to you?!"

Levo-Lon

Guru
Otb going over a bridge on the up part.
little worse for wear..face plant in road and back wheel hit me on the back of my head.
very grazed and battered next morning..mum said you been bloody fighting..nah bike beat me up..lol
been many misshaps but that one seems to stay with me

Angry Blonde

Über Member
I peddled through a gap in the wall into my street, at speed only to find i was a bit more over to the right than i should have been.
Caught my handlebar on the wall, which span me straight into it, cabbaged on the floor only to find there was about twenty people in the street laughing at me.

I stood up, pushed my buckled wheeled bike past them all as if it didnt happen, then when i got out the street i had a little man cry !

[QUOTE 3779846, member: 9609"]An annoying bit of stone that had somehow got itself attached to the front tyre and was going click click click click click click click click click click click click - so decided to dislodge it with my finger - it wasn't a stone, it was a bit of glass - may as well have shoved my finger into a bacon slicer.
cutfinger_8168_zpsr91i8dlm.jpg

.[/QUOTE]
:eek:

Top Bottom