A unusual cycling calamity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Riding my nearly new at the time Trek hybrid, ambling along with the wife. I saw a coke can in the road and in an instant thought i was a teenager again :biggrin:...i rode up, and bounced the front wheel onto the can, crushing it..:tongue:.
Trouble was....in that instant, the can wrapped round the tyre, travelled with it as it rotated until it reached the brakes....instant stop :ohmy:.
The bike up ended, i flew oh so gracefully over the handlebars but somehow kept upright and almost landed running, didnt even fall over. The bike clattered all over the tarmac, the wife laughed like a gutter and kept going...'i'm not with you, you numpty' :laugh:

surfdude

Veteran
i was out on the my mtb going down a track that was overgrown and a hog weed head got stuck between my brake cables coming down from the bars and pulled them around and steered me into a ditch full of stinging nettles and brambles and dirty smelly water .

Not a calamity, nor an accident, but an unusual, almost surreal experience.

Me and my mate were touring down through southern France, fully loaded and pedalling like the clappers downhill into a very strong head wind. Coming uphill with the wind behind him was a cyclist not pedalling at all.

He laughed at us and we laughed at him at the ridiculousness of the situation.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I did a similar thing to @Pale Rider's new pal on a mountain bike going over boggy brackish ground, I bumped a grass divot that didn't give, lost my foot on the pedal and dug chunks out of my leg as I fell off. The sopping puddly ground provided a nice soft, if mucky, landing tho.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
One time having gone to the dentists on the way home from work, realised when I got there had no lock, so 'loosened' my quick release on the front wheel in case any 'ne'er do well' took it.

Left the dentist after my filling & completely forgot my 'anti-theft' device ...

I got the whole way home (about 2 miles) including a fairly big roundabout.

Got to my drive , 'lifted the handlebars' to ease over the drop to the kerb to the drive ....

CLUNK ...:eek: .... wheel detached , (tootled off down the drive) , forks hit ground, chin hit bars / stem , luckily my jaw was still 'numb' from dentist ....
Only one neighbour was out and saw the 'incident' - the one who did not like me :sad:

wheel made it's (own) way all the way down the drive & stopped at the garage :wacko:

Arthur

Comfortably numb and increasingly fixed.
Crawleyside... I had to go up that bugger in the heat last Thursday, fifteen minutes after downing a massive full-English at a Stanhope B&B. Didn't fall off but I did have to get off for a couple of minutes. It was either that or cover the bike in second hand bacon and eggs. We don't get hills like that in Kent.

mustang1

Guru
Was mtb'ing in the woods. Very muddy. Was going down hill. Needed to pick up speed to get over the looming uphill. Saw there was some mud at the bottom so really plowed on the power. Two things happened when I reached the bottom:​
1. I realised it wasn't a small amount of mud, but was 20 inches deep.
2. It didn't occur to me there would be a large log embedded in the mud. As the front tire hit it, I flew over the bars and flying face first (and chest and, well, everything) into the mud.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
One time having gone to the dentists on the way home from work, realised when I got there had no lock, so 'loosened' my quick release on the front wheel in case any 'ne'er do well' took it.

Left the dentist after my filling & completely forgot my 'anti-theft' device ...

I got the whole way home (about 2 miles) including a fairly big roundabout.

Got to my drive , 'lifted the handlebars' to ease over the drop to the kerb to the drive ....

CLUNK ...:eek: .... wheel detached , (tootled off down the drive) , forks hit ground, chin hit bars / stem , luckily my jaw was still 'numb' from dentist ....
Only one neighbour was out and saw the 'incident' - the one who did not like me :sad:

wheel made it's (own) way all the way down the drive & stopped at the garage :wacko:

So you don't recommend loosening the QR as a security measure?

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
So you don't recommend loosening the QR as a security measure?
NO ...
x-ray-image-of-teeth-with-hand-pointing-at-wisdom-teeth.jpg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Coming down a green lane I'd been giving it the beans, big cog at the front and small one at the back. Slowed down to cross the bridge at the bottom and faced with a very short rise at the other side had a complete brain fade and forgot to change down. This combined with a lack of forward momentum caused me to stall half way up the bank and very slowly fall into my side. I couldn't get back up for laughing.

Not quite a catastrophe, but coming down NCN R66 towards Garforth, there is a straight downhill section that is fun but very rocky / bumpy. This leads onto good tarmac before heading onto the main road. I'd come down the bumpy section doing 18mph and again dropped through the gears pedalling like a demon.
At this point I looked up and noticed the metal gate (one like a sideways L) across the lane was closed! Slamming on the brakes as hard as I dare I don't know how I did it, but I came to a halt with the front reflector touching the bar of the gate.
I must have cycled that route dozens of times and in my defence that gate has never been closed before or since.

Top Bottom