A very poor show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
At the weekend I drove into town to see a friend who's cat had died. Most inconsiderate for him, but very useful to me as he'd just gone banzai and bought a cupboard load of cat food that he now had no use for and my cats were to he the lucky beneficiaries.

Blah blah blah boring blah

I was quite angry by the time I arrived at my free Whiskas.

Mercenary bastard.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
The number of people completely oblivious to surrounding hazards and showing a lack of consideration to others in equal measure, always leaves me dumbfounded on these rides.

I did the Tour de Broads 40 a couple of weekends back with a younger female friend who'll torch me on an MTB, but had never so much as ridden a road bike in her life. She's fit (stop sniggering!) and not far off as tall as me, so I adjusted my RT-58 to suit her, threw on some MTB clipless pedals and off we went.

By her own admission, her biggest fear was just not really knowing what hazards the roads brings. Judging by the feet up, clipped in track stand she did at the very first junction we came to, I need not have feared for her bike handling capabilities.

However, I did find myself taking a defensive position behind her on the road to stop her continually being buzzed, not by cars and vans, but by kamikaze Stravarseholes who will slow down for literally nothing. I actually took to blocking one group of knuckleheads off completely. It was a quaint, narrow and twisting village, thronging with pedestrians, as it seemed to be a bit of a destination with a river and tea shops, etc. Alerted by the sound of a screeching Mavic rim/brake combo behind, I saw a 'club ride' bearing down on us with barely room for two abreast, but they weren't slowing down for anybody.

They didn't have much choice once I'd parked it in a wide stance, due to oncoming cars (I say oncoming - Mostly stationary due to riders overtaking on the white line) and I held them there until the road opened out a couple of hundred yards later. Exactly as I would do in a similar situation with a car behind me. I got a few choice looks as they eventually passed us, but I couldn't care less.

Don't start me on the three abreast octogenarian touring cyclists on the A149....

Ultimately, I've come to the conclusion that cyclists, like any other road users, are a representative cross-section of society and that it therefore comes with a proportionate amount of dickheads and the completely oblivious.

Great day out though and we got us a roadie convert who realised that there's more to life than threading one's way through a wall of trees. :smile:

An unverifiable and implausible anecdote about nightmare cyclists from a bod with a history of dangerous driving near cyclists for shoots and giggles. This thread has legs.

I have seen similarly blasé behaviour myself, most notably on the Great North Bike Ride.

Tight, unsighted bends on unclosed roads being taken on the wrong side. Some folk treating it as a training ride (it's a 60 mile fast, flat route) and absolutely hammering it through a mix of pootlers and families. Cyclists getting into needless altercations in the more crowded areas (particularly the finish). Gel wrappers all over the shop...

Embarrassing stuff to be honest and I let the organisers know my concerns a couple of times without reply.

Open ?? :tongue:

when i was a shiny young copper in the early nineties my favourite pastime at night was sneaking up behind cyclists with no lights and giving them a blast of the wailers. Many came close to a coronary, and one managed to fall off. Shame.

You're a dickless cheeseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom