Abandoned buildings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do you have a favourite? This is one I see regularly and can't help but wonder why?
2709242_0b445060.jpg

It's a replacement for the original building, which didn't do well when bombed.
499214657_317cd7a93e.jpg

and that was also bombed by Zeppelin during WW1. Can't find any photos of it though.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A lot of the empty old business buildings around and in Wellingborough are all being converted in to flats and apartments which should bring them back to life .

subaqua

What’s the point
There are huge forums for "Urban exploring" of derelict and abandoned buildings. One of the best bits about my job is going to some of them to ensure services are disconnected.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
This is Bliss Tweed Mill in Chipping Norton, it was abandoned for years until it was turned into yuppie flats. While it was still derelict I sneaked over the fence and took loads of atmospheric black and white photos (when there were only film cameras), they turned out really well and it was great to have some images of the mill before it was gentrified, unfortunately I've lost them, sigh...

52471_377A_377_IMG_01_0001.JPG

2j4ast2.jpg

awujqf.jpg

Part of this Saturday morning's stroll will be to a disused plastics factory in Palaiseau. I 'discovered' it about 2005 and have been back every year (like 3BM, I have lost the photos somewhere...) For better, or worse, the site is now a shanty town, occupied by Roma - as is a lot of the terrain in that part - and the active, creative sprayers are limited to the bridge across the Essonne. The (mostly males) artists were really enthusiastic and the quality of work on such a scale, outstanding.
There was even a picture of @arallsopp on view...:smile:
259lqtd.jpg

http://farakane.fr/graff-palaiseau-lusine-p19/ Some more shown here...although most of this stuff is along the river - or was.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Do you have a favourite? This is one I see regularly and can't help but wonder why?
2709242_0b445060.jpg

and that was also bombed by Zeppelin during WW1. Can't find any photos of it though.

Where is that? It looks familiar.

OP
OP
Piemaster

Piemaster

Guru
Where is that? It looks familiar.
It's the Edwin Davies department store,Bond Street, Hull. It's been abandoned for a long time (around 40 years AFAIK), apart from a brief flirtation as a night club. How long would a city-centre property that has 'yuppie flat conversion' written all over it have stood in London?
There are some rather nasty buildings on the opposite side of the street.

OP
OP
Piemaster

Piemaster

Guru
If anyone's got half a day to waste: http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/
Theres a guy I work with does some Urbex. He reckons the best days for it were just after the crash hit, lots of buildings abandoned and then nothing being spent to secure them. He says it has got more difficult to access them now as property prices have risen and the developers are interested again.
When he was in Dubai he climbed 70 floors of a skyscraper construction work had been abandoned on, only to discover after a lot of stairs the power was still on and the lift was working..

Top Bottom