Abandoned buildings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If anyone's got half a day to waste: http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/

Sad....

This is the old Phillips PET Gamma Camera that I used to operate

IMG_6312_zps81f2a90c.jpg

The reliable old Sopha:

IMG_6311_zps616dfb60.jpg

IMG_6308_zps1425db11.jpg

This is the old Park Gamma Camera, I also used to manafacture pharmaceuticals in this cabinet:

IMG_6314_zps3e06e4f1.jpg

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Ancient ruins do absolutely nothing for me. I can't make the leap of imagination that I'm supposed to. Recent buildings are something else. I used to drive out of London on the A40 past about half a mile of houses about to be torn down. One had already been sliced in half leaving the kitchen and bedroom exposed. You could see the wallpaper and the tiles, and I felt like a voyeur peering into somebody's private world. People were born and died in that house, they lived their lives there and had dreams and disappointments. I found it incredibly sad to see the bricks and mortar, and the ghosts of strangers' lives about to be carted away by a Murphy tipper lorry. Although I loved the bangs, I felt the same watching this....
[media]

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK50So-yYRU
[/media]

david k

Hi
this is a hot topic in St Helens

We have lost some fabulous buildings in the past. It seems difficult to understand and the council get a lot of grief over it.

however we have to realise, the cost of repair, the cost of running maintenance, heating, lighting, what it was built for, can it make itself pay, who will pay etc. etc.

Ift could look great but if it has no purpose it cannot make itself pay, often only national trust is an answer

OP
OP
Piemaster

Piemaster

Guru
Ancient ruins do absolutely nothing for me. I can't make the leap of imagination that I'm supposed to. Recent buildings are something else. I used to drive out of London on the A40 past about half a mile of houses about to be torn down. One had already been sliced in half leaving the kitchen and bedroom exposed. You could see the wallpaper and the tiles, and I felt like a voyeur peering into somebody's private world. People were born and died in that house, they lived their lives there and had dreams and disappointments. I found it incredibly sad to see the bricks and mortar, and the ghosts of strangers' lives about to be carted away by a Murphy tipper lorry. Although I loved the bangs, I felt the same watching this....

Sounds like you are making the same associations with the houses as I do with buildings 'the ghosts of strangers lives'. The bits and pieces just left behind when the place was abandoned, as in the links to 28 days later forum. The National Trust ancient ruin type stuff with immaculate lawns surrounding a few remaining walls of a cathedral/castle/whatever don't do as much for me, too sanitised to actually imagine people living their lives in the place.

OP
OP
Piemaster

Piemaster

Guru
Prypiat. Interesting one, seems there have been a lot of visits there now from Urbex people, I've seen photos from people on different visits showing how the sarcophagus building is developing. Even Top Gear has been there, it seems to be starting to creep into tourist destination territory. Doesn't make it any less powerful though.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I was there doing a shoot for the Chernobyl Children's Project, but the day spent in the Exclusion Zone was pretty much tourism.

Top Bottom