Addison lee told to use bus lanes!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 1819297, member: 45"]And if one wanted to add a review, how would one go about it?[/quote]
Download the App to your smartphone, write a review and then, I suppose, delete the App.

AnotherEye

I've just sent this email:
Dear John Griffin,
I have cycled in London for the last 35 years and am, like you, concerned with the safety of all road users. Whilst we may not agree on all things I believe there is ground on which we can make common cause.
I think that we agree that there careless road users as well as good road users within all categories, on this occasion I am specifically concerned with cyclists and motorists.
Your influence is far greater than mine so I am inviting you to use it in order to help reduce deaths and injuries on London's roads. Would you be willing to publicise the below in order to improve the standard of cycling and motoring in our city?

There is excellent advise to drivers here:
What drivers can do to be more cyclist aware
http://www.carbuzz.co.uk/blog/Drivers-more-cyclist-aware

Whilst the following is addressed to cyclists it would be advantageous for motorists to read it as well so as to understand the behaviour of trained and experienced cyclists:
http://www.roadusers.net/motoristsandcyclists.html

yours sincerely
Gerry Platt

jmaccyd

I do wonder what will happen if and when another road user dies hit in a bus lane by an AL minicab using the lane il-legally. Like all of his ilk, this guy will no doubt walk away from the driver and hang him or her out to dry. I remember the bus driver who killed a cyclist on Blackfriars bridge a few years ago, who had reported to management that he was struggling on the route, and was told to 'get on with it', and was sent to prison whilst the managers carried on regardless. If you read this and drive an AL vehicle in a bus lane and something happens, this GUY will not be standing behind you. Oh, by the way any difference between il-legal use of bus lanes by AL vehicles, and the il-legal use of the Bloombsbury Way contra-flow bus lane by tens of thousands of cyclists every week? Because if you think the former is wrong then so is the later!

Dan B

Disengaged member
Oh, by the way any difference between il-legal use of bus lanes by AL vehicles, and the il-legal use of the Bloombsbury Way contra-flow bus lane by tens of thousands of cyclists every week?
Yes.
Because if you think the former is wrong then so is the later!
No.

Hope that clarifies matters

s_casey99

Regular
I've just sent John Griffin this..

Dear Mr Griffin,
I have been a customer of Addison Lee for many years now and I have always been very happy with the service the company has provided me with. I even used the company to transport all of my wedding guests to my wedding reception in 2010.
I have also been incredibly impressed with the conduct of your drivers with regard to my one year old daughter and her safety in the cars.
In the past I have recommended Addison Lee to all of my friends and family and I received positive feedback from them also.

After reading what you said last week with regard to cyclists (of which I am one) and bus lanes then I have to admit that I am disgusted with your comments. They were irresponsible and quite frankly dangerous.

You said
This summer the roads will be thick with bicycles, these cyclists are throwing themselves on to some of the most congested spaces in the world.”

We are not“throwing” ourselves onto the roads. We are using them just as motorists are and let me remind you that it was cyclists who used the roads first. Cyclists were the first group in a generation to use roads and were the first to push for high-quality sealed surfaces and were the first to lobby for national funding and leadership for roads. Without cyclists, motorists wouldn't have hit the ground running when it came to places to drive their new form of transport.

“They leap on to a vehicle which offers them no protection except a padded plastic hat. Should a motorist fail to observe a granny wobbling to avoid a pothole or a brain drain, then he is guilty of failing to anticipate that this was somebody on her maiden voyage into the abyss.”

Can I point out rule 213 in the Highway Code?

“Cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to any sudden change of direction they may need to make.”

Quite frankly it’s the driver’s responsibility. Drivers kill cyclists. That’s why they should be asked to give them plenty of room.
How many drivers were killed last year due to cyclists on the road?
Zero.

“The fact is he just didn't see her and however cautious, caring or alert he is, the influx of beginner cyclists is going to lead to an overall increase in accidents involving cyclists.”

Department for Transport figures from 2009 showed that police found drivers solely responsible in about 60%-75% of all road accidents, and riders solely at fault 17%-25% of the time.

You say that
“The rest of us occupying this road space have had to undergo extensive training. We are sitting inside a protected space with impact bars and air bags and paying extortionate amounts of taxes on our vehicle purchase, parking, servicing, insurance and road tax, It is time for us to say to cyclists, 'You want to join our gang, get trained and pay up”

Road Tax?
Really?

I pay road tax because I am a taxpayer in this country. Motorists pay a vehicle excise duty which is based on emissions. If cyclists WERE liable for it we would pay £0. It’s quite simple, how you haven’t yet managed to grasp this simple piece of legislation baffles me.

I’m surprised at your apparent lack of knowledge on this subject and am slightly worried at your obvious lack of understanding of the Highway Code.

Motor vehicle users must undergo thorough training because due to cases of poor driving. Hundreds of thousands of people are killed and injured each year. Cyclists do not represent such a risk and, more to the point, are, by choosing to cycle, reducing congestion and the burden of public health linked to physical inactivity and air pollution.

You have also said to your drivers that they should use bus lanes making it more dangerous on the roads for cyclists now.
Thanks.
We now don’t know if an Addison Lee vehicle will come on to a bus lane or not.

The reason“Black Cabs” are allowed to use the bus lanes is simply that they ply for business on the roads unlike minicabs. At some point they need to get to a pavement for their trade.

I see what you are doing here, trying to make the Addison Lee customer feel as though you want them to get to their destination quicker and doing something about it in the process. I think this is a cheap publicity stunt which will cost you in the long run.
Your comments were irresponsible to say the least and as I’ve said before, dangerous.

I for one will never use Addison Lee again and I’ve spoken to a lot of my cyclist friends who won’t also.
You obviously haven’t factored in that cyclists also use Addison Lee but after what you have said to make the roads a more dangerous place for us I imagine that they won’t be using Addison Lee anymore.

I will tell all of those friends I recommended Addison Lee to and inform them of your comments.

Also, just to add, if I’m injured in a collision with an Addison Lee driver that isn’t my fault then I will hold you personally responsible.

Regards,
Steve Casey

I have just found a dedicated "Official Boycott Addison Lee Campaign" website.

http://boycottaddisonlee.wordpress.com/

It looks like they are trying to persuade Barclay's Bank to drop their contact with AL.

From the Boycott web site

"Please contact Barclays asking them:
Is Barclays lending money to AddisonLee so that they can encourage law breaking and increased danger on our roads?
Why Barclays?
1. Barclays has committed a lot of money to the Barclays cycle hire scheme.
2. Barclays is funding Addison Lee to help it expand in the run up to the Olympics.
3. Barclays is a major Addison Lee customer.
Please contact Barclays asking them:
Is Barclays lending money to AddisonLee so that they can encourage law breaking and increased danger on our roads?
Email: customer.relations@barclays.co.uk
Twitter @Barclays @barclaysonline

Please email us any response you get boycottaddisonlee@gmail.com

also the boycott facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/BoycottAddisonLee

I remember the bus driver who killed a cyclist on Blackfriars bridge a few years ago, who had reported to management that he was struggling on the route, and was told to 'get on with it', and was sent to prison whilst the managers carried on regardless.

If that was the Vicki McCreery death then I remember a police officer involved with the case telling me that the driver had pleaded guilty so the prosecution were unable to show the in-cab video evidence. That showed he had had a clear view of her for a full 23 seconds before he hit and killed her but he was too busy having an argument with someone to actually bother looking where he was going. Not the actions of someone "struggling on the route".

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
In Glasgow the private hire cars are permitted in bus lanes and have been for a good number of years now. I can't say I've ever had particular problems with them or the black cabs, in or out of bus lanes. They generally give a decent overtake whereas the really dangerous drivers are those ordinary motorists & motorcyclists who aren't supposed to use the lane; they skim past at high speed as they try to get beyond the lane before they get caught.

In the past few days the city council has finally begun camera enforcement of the lanes with a view to issuing fixed penalties to offenders. See http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/GettingAround/Roads/buslaneenforcement.htm

London may be a different kettle of fish so I'm not suggesting you don't oppose Mr Griffin's proposal.

Hawk

Veteran
In Glasgow the private hire cars are permitted in bus lanes and have been for a good number of years now. I can't say I've ever had particular problems with them or the black cabs, in or out of bus lanes. They generally give a decent overtake whereas the really dangerous drivers are those ordinary motorists & motorcyclists who aren't supposed to use the lane; they skim past at high speed as they try to get beyond the lane before they get caught.

In the past few days the city council has finally begun camera enforcement of the lanes with a view to issuing fixed penalties to offenders. See http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/GettingAround/Roads/buslaneenforcement.htm

London may be a different kettle of fish so I'm not suggesting you don't oppose Mr Griffin's proposal.

Yeah, really good to see GCC taking up this issue. Mostly a problem in the city centre where cars want to dash over, for example, the bridge over Queen Street Station.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Yeah, really good to see GCC taking up this issue.

I'm curious as to where these cameras are located since I've seen nothing that looks like a camera near the lanes. Unless they're relying on stills captured from bus cameras or are planning to deploy mobile camera units to the worst affeceted lanes.

The worst ones I know of are the bus gate at Govan Road (towards STV studios) and the bus lane over the squinty bridge.

musa

Über Member
[QUOTE 1822511, member: 45"]We've got a new bus lane camera in Brum. It sticks out the top of a Smart car.[/quote]

We've had them for ages...they use them for clamping cars too

Jezston

Über Member
[QUOTE 1822511, member: 45"]We've got a new bus lane camera in Brum. It sticks out the top of a Smart car.[/quote]

Parked in a bus lane?

Hawk

Veteran
I'm curious as to where these cameras are located since I've seen nothing that looks like a camera near the lanes. Unless they're relying on stills captured from bus cameras or are planning to deploy mobile camera units to the worst affeceted lanes.

The worst ones I know of are the bus gate at Govan Road (towards STV studios) and the bus lane over the squinty bridge.

They are being put up at the moment.

There is one already up between the junction of Cathedral street and Queen Street and the Sainsbury's at Buchanan Galleries.

There is one on Maryhill road where the bus lane begins between Canniesburn Toll and St Mary's Primary school (just where Summerston starts), near the bank on Maryhill road.

It seems that some First buses are carrying CCTV with number plate recognition too?

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV

In London they use CCTV style cameras to capture video, they send you a copy of the video.

Top Bottom