Addison lee told to use bus lanes!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Out of interest has anyone actually seen an AL car in a bus lane yet? I looked all week and didnt see one.

I saw an AL car yesterday...

...not using the bus lane even though traffic was jammed and the bus lane was completely clear.

Reactions: gaz
OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
There's an e-Petition against A-L here http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/33116 - the closing date seems misleading as it is getting signatures at a rate of knots. About 100 in the ten minutes since I read about and signed.

Would producing hard to remove stickers marked "A Criminal is driving this" that could be placed on A-L cars in bus lanes be a legal protest?
That is how the e-petition system works. If you don't get 100,000 signatures in a year then it is locked/closed

Out of interest has anyone actually seen an AL car in a bus lane yet? I looked all week and didnt see one.
Nope, i've seen plenty not using the bus lane.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
That is how the e-petition system works. If you don't get 100,000 signatures in a year then it is locked/closed

Nope, i've seen plenty not using the bus lane.

There are two things that will stop them.
Will their SatNav insructions work taking into account bus lanes?
The first "accident" that occurs in a bus lane. I wonder who in AL will do the gaol time or licence suspension for the driver?

I have to thank John Griffin in one way though. Without him I would probably not have found Hailocab.com and their app for calling a black cab in London and paying for it from your phone. Even has a nifty display of where the cab coming to pick you up currently is.

He's getting some stick in the Independent too.

One curious thing in the reporting. All the articles make a point of mentioning his donation to the Tory Party and Ken Livingstone is reported in the Independent as saying Boris got a £25k donation for his previous election campaign. I am struggling to see the relevance to the story other than as reporters getting their own back for Levenson. After all Boris' TfL was pretty quick off the mark in responding very robustly to the suggestion AL cars should drive in the bus lanes and has he has issued a statement condemning yesterday's comments as "irresponsible and unacceptable". And now Unite have jumped on the bandwagon too.

Jezston

Über Member
One curious thing in the reporting. All the articles make a point of mentioning his donation to the Tory Party and Ken Livingstone is reported in the Independent as saying Boris got a £25k donation for his previous election campaign. I am struggling to see the relevance to the story

Probably more to do with this: http://www.addisonlee.com/press/read/391

And the fact that Boris isn't actually doing anything about it, just talking the talk.

Jezston

Über Member
I'm not sure what you are trying to argue with me about.

Boris has said nothing to condemn what AL are doing.

TFL are only taking AL to court to tell them to withdraw their letter ordering staff to use the bus lanes.

TFL in their statements are only threatening individual drivers rather than AL itself.

And the CPS declined to prosecute the tens of thousands in fines that AL had accrued using the M4 bus lanes and refused to pay.

The fact that AL has given the governing party a quarter of a million quid over the last few years is relevant.

That's not Boris.

All I've seen so far from him is his reponse to AL's comments about cyclists. Has Boris said anything about them using the bus lanes?

S'funny, If TfL do something wrong, its Boris' fault. If they do something right its nothing to do with Boris. Can't have it both ways so which is it to be?

Reactions: gaz

Jezston

Über Member
S'funny, If TfL do something wrong, its Boris' fault. If they do something right its nothing to do with Boris. Can't have it both ways so which is it to be?

I'm not sure where you are coming from here as your response appears to have nothing to do with what I said.

From what I understand, the mayor is in charge of TFL, but they are to a degree less autonomous and won't just do what he says. Hence stuff in the past about Boris wanting something for cyclists and TFL saying no. Whether that was all fluff on Boris' part is another issue.

Boris AFAIK has said nothing other than in response to AL's comments about cyclists.

The case here is TFL are taking AL to court to ask them to withdraw a letter - they aren't suing them or threatening to revoke their licence, just saying "you take that back!". The argument at hand is whether AL having donated 250k to the Conservatives is relevant. Clearly it's worth stating considering their seemingly soft treatment.

Top Bottom