Aldi and Lidl...will they fall short ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
I saw some supermarket psychologist on the telly recently saying that the success of Aldi and Lidl is de in part to their smaller size. Alot of shoppers don't want massive hypermarkets.
I do most of my shopping at Morrisons now, its easiest to get to by bike.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
The one thing that annoys me are the tills, not enough of them, and the packing area is too small.
I've walked out before. That is a deal breaker for me when some has a massive trolley infront of me.
And this is exactly where they may lose out IMO.
I dont mind Aldi, some of their products are fine, bread, honey, jaffa cakes etc etc, all fine. The fruit and veg is unbeatable, but IIRC there wre only 4 or 6 tills in Stanground...if its busy, forget it. If you have a lot of stuff, its bloomin hard to get it packed in an orderly fashion.
I don't mind them, but the hype is getting out of control IMO.

400bhp

Guru
I think this thread highlights the power of branding.

It's almost a thread that is worried if Aldi/Lidl gains a material amount more of market share, because it may mean that their current shopping "experience" may diminish and hence their life might become out of sync.

That isn't meant to be a sleight on the OP and is just me musing.:smile: And talking balls^_^

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Our Aldi is a couple of hundred yards away and we do our weekly shop there. True, there isn't the choice of 14 different brands of soup, or bread but there is a good range and I don't feel that we are missing out not going to Tesco.
I can get all my basics, the little luxuries that we like too. We can also get bits and bobs that are not found in Tesco all the time like super-duper turkish delight at a sensible price (Hubster loves it). The quality is fine, the prices are awesome. We've probably saved fifty quid on our food bill for the month that we've been here.
Not falling short in our eyes.
Basically as above ^

400bhp

Guru
[QUOTE 3381990, member: 45"]We do the bulk of our shopping at Lidl, and pop next door for the specifics. Never had a problem parking or waiting too long at the tills.[/QUOTE]

Aldi near us are bob on. If a till gets full (i,e, full of food and a person waiting to dump their stuff on the rollers) they open another one. Someone sprints (sometimes out of breath) to open another till. I think they must give the assistants free PEDs - feckin hard job.:sweat:

Funny atmosphere in the local Aldi - probably no-one wants to be seen shopping there.

The tills process customers a lot quicker than expected.

You can get named brand goods cheaper from the B&M/Home Bargains type of shop or better quality from the big supermarkets/High Street so I suppose it's a convenience choice first and foremost.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
You do realise that you're meant to re-load the trolley, pay, then wheel the trolley to the packing shelf and take your time there? It's a good system that works well once people get the idea. Some people find it hard to comprehend though.
It doesn't work quite so well if you use a basket then you do have to pack it quickly, but I'm used to it and normally get it all in my bags before I've finished paying.

MarkF

Guru
I find the lack of choice at Lidl to be quite liberating. It saves a lot of time too.

Yes, I don't want an endless choice of tomato soup or butter and I don't mind waiting to pay either, it won't cause my head to fall off or anything.

There is an Aldi near me, Shipley, it's between a nearby Asda and Sainsburys, it has a large car park but that appears pretty much always full, though I cycle there anyway. We use Aldi for most of our "general" food, going several times a week, at weekends we'll get "treats" from Waitrose or Booths (Ilkley), the game is up for the boring mega sheds, they can "BOGOF".

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
One of them - can never remember which - does potato salad in yoghurt which I think is yummy.

I wonder if Aldi and Lidl executives accept UK customers struggle to tell the difference between them.

They don't try very hard to be different, using the same colour scheme and laying the goods out in the same way.

snorri

Legendary Member
There was/is an amusing inverted snobbery about shopping at Lidl. A friend of mine told me she went once but they didn't have anything she wanted:biggrin:.
I suspect she meant they did not have Heinz beans or Cadburys choco drink or John West sardines and was not adventurous enough to try a brand she did not recognise.
Although now I see they have some 'big name' brands

Top Bottom